Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wal Mart cash advance PIF

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Wal Mart cash advance PIF

Is it true Wal Mart treats cash advances do not accrue interest daily as long as you PIF? But what does it mean to PIF?

Scenario:

Month #1 statement balance: $1

The next day after Month #1 statement cuts, you take out $100 in cash advance when making a purchase at a Wal Mart cash advance.

So as long as you make a payment of $1 before Month #2 statement cuts, you won't pay interest on the $100 cash advance as long as you PIF the amount shown on Month #2 statement before the Month #3 statement cuts, correct?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wal Mart cash advance PIF

To avoid interest on purchases you must pay the statement balance in full by the due date. Now on the cash advances if you take them at Walmart with a purchase they are considered a purchase and there is no interest as long as it is paid off by the due date. If those cash advances are taken at an ATM or bank there is no grace to avoid an interest charge.

Message 2 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

To avoid interest on purchases you must pay the statement balance in full by the due date. Now on the cash advances if you take them at Walmart with a purchase they are considered a purchase and there is no interest as long as it is paid off by the due date. If those cash advances are taken at an ATM or bank there is no grace to avoid an interest charge.

+1.  They show up as "Quick Cash" on the statements and are treated as a purchase.  It's a nice feature that's helping keep Wally out of my SD. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 7
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I forgot to mention. Assuming all cash advances are done with a purchase at a Wal Mart register, not an ATM. So I edited some of my scenarios above since there's no way you could have taken out cash without a purchase using this assumption.

Message 4 of 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

This may be similar to the Discover "cash over" feature, where you get an amount like $60 with a purchase at the supermarket.

This is not really a cash advance, but is treated like a purchase.

Message 5 of 7
krial
Regular Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

This is not really a cash advance, but is treated like a purchase.

Except in regards to the interest free promotions that are always available in the store. I wasn't sure so we tried it out a few weeks ago, and the $200 regular purchases were given a 6 month no interest promotion. The $60 quick cash that we got at the same time was not included. Smiley Happy

Goal: 800, Current Scores: EX 735, EQ 746, TU 745
Message 6 of 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I always felt this benefit was underrated with Walmart and Sams credit cards. I dont pull out more than $100 at a time but it saves a separate trip to the bank.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.