Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wal-Mart credit card closed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wal-Mart credit card closed?

I have been accused of being confusing and now of being misleading which I can say I am not. I have no reason to withold truth from strangers. I have at this point spoken with FIVE people who state inactivity. I have not had a statement mailed to me since February so that was 90 days they went without making money off interest charges perhaps that is enough. I maxed it out on April 14 and paid in full May 3rd. In march, I used it and spent $70 and paid it off before statement was cut. Thanks for your support.
Message 31 of 38
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have been accused of being confusing and now of being misleading which I can say I am not. I have no reason to withold truth from strangers. I have at this point spoken with FIVE people who state inactivity. I have not had a statement mailed to me since February so that was 90 days they went without making money off interest charges perhaps that is enough. I maxed it out on April 14 and paid in full May 3rd. In march, I used it and spent $70 and paid it off before statement was cut. Thanks for your support.

Its strange that you do not get statements mailed to you even saying you have $0 due, are there online statements? I would think that even when you use the card they pay in full you would have a statement genearated showing the purchase and the payment

Message 32 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

There were no online statements and I was a paperless subscriber.
Message 33 of 38
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not accusing you of being misleading. I just stated that maybe you did not tell us everything. When did you open this account? GE only does quarterly SP's. the inactivity they would be referring to would have probably occured IN THE PAST. Did you not use the card for a gap of time in the past? Many of us use Walmart and PIF. We are not getting AA and closed for inactivity. So I just made the leap that there was something different about your account than ours, something that you did not tell us (not intentionally leave out, or mislead us).

It still does not add up against how GE is treating the rest of us, so we are trying to figure out what they were seeing. If there is something others on this forum need to do differently to avoid what happened to you, then we need to try and figure out what triggered GE. I assume you want to help others avoid the same AA you experienced?

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 34 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only time I didn't use it was when it was maxed out.... Since having it I always carried a balance except for the past three months. I have always outwits more than the minimum except for a 5 month period in 2010 where I made the minimum plus $10. It's reported to the CRAs at this point and minimally impacted scores so I'm not going to fret anymore. They sent me a letter on the 14th but I'm out of town for business so haven't read that yet. Maybe it will offer more insight.
Message 35 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

The letter I received stated that they closed my account due to my inactivity and my credit score on March 1st which was 602. weird but when I got it my score was 581 and had troubled credit but I said I would let the group know and that's what the letter said. The score they got was from TU. thanks....
Message 36 of 38
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The letter I received stated that they closed my account due to my inactivity and my credit score on March 1st which was 602. weird but when I got it my score was 581 and had troubled credit but I said I would let the group know and that's what the letter said. The score they got was from TU. thanks....

Did you try this number: 866-611-1148 ?   It's the Walmart Discover division, they might be able to redirect you or help you more than the store number, still GE but might be better service.  They may be able to look up your account and allow you to tell them you last used the card less than 3 months ago and was shocked it was closed for inactivity as you've been told in the letter.  I am going to guess they might be better trained simply because they're under the division stamped with the Discover logo (essentially) and that actually means something.  If nothing else, they may be able to give you an address to write to with your concerns to escalate the issue to the right people.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 37 of 38
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I spoke with a representative of the GE Corporate office who says they discontinued my account solely because of no activity. I asked what their criteria was and they said it varied by account. They reported there was no other reason and I do not see a soft or hard pull on anything showing they have reviewed my credit. I suppose if I could do things differently I would leave a small balance each month just so it shows activity.

i was figuring with this information and the fact that your credit limit was only 150. i am guessing they have a very boxed in criteria for this type of card that you carried. i had a walmart discover, and i know what you mean when they skip a statement just because you paid in full. i dont care for walmart/ge credit anyway as the interest rates are unreal.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.