Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WalMart and Sams cards - different?

tag
jk26978
Regular Contributor

WalMart and Sams cards - different?

I have read here and there on here that some think that the Sams credit card or store card is easier to get than the WalMart one, so....are they issued independently of each other?  Guess I have always thought that they were the same since both could be used at either store.  No particular reason for asking just wondering.

Thanks

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: WalMart and Sams cards - different?

I always thought Sams would be harder to get than Walmart due to Sams issuing high CL's when approved?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 6
mygoal750
Contributor

I thought they were the same, too.  But, I got my Sam's card several years ago and had a $525 CL.  Then, in 2008, they took the CL down to $225, without notice.  I finally got it back to $500 last July with a hard pull.  In November 2011, I got a WalMart card @ $800 initial CL, and they just raised it to $1,000.  I got the WalMart card primarily for the free score, and took advantage of their 0% for 6 months when I got the card.  When I got my notice recently that my CL was increased, they sent me a "coupon" for 0% financing for 12 months, and the "coupon" can be used anytime till 12/31/12.  I cancelled my Sam's membership after they cut my credit line...i had been using it only for gas purchases, anyway.  So, the Sam's card has been living in the sock drawer since March, 2008 and will stay there until they cancel it for no activity. It really torqued me that they cut my credit limit by more than half and never notified me.  JCPenney cut my CL in 2008, too, but at least they sent me notice that "due to current economic conditions...yada, yada, yada".  At the time it was $1700, cut to $1,000, but now with auto CLIs, it's up to $3,500.

Message 3 of 6
guydiver
Established Contributor

They are not the same, they are both serviced by GE though.  Got my Sam's card with a $400 limit and very low EQ Fico when I started rebuilding six years ago.  At the one year anniversary they upgraded me to Discover, a separate account and CL.  Both cards received regular CLI's every six months.  My Discover got to 10K when I did a balance transfer and closed it due to the high interest rate.  I still have the basic club card that is now at 5900, and due an increase next month with my statement.  I use my club card at WM and Sam's.

Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have seen much higher limits on Sams and much larger CLI, however maybe last 6 months I have started to see some very nice Walmart CL's and very nice CLI and upgrade offers for Discover.... On Business side, My business Sams had over $8k limit and Walmart was only $3k I think. so who knows!

Message 5 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@mygoal750 wrote:

@I thought they were the same, too.  But, I got my Sam's card several years ago and had a $525 CL.  Then, in 2008, they took the CL down to $225, without notice.  I finally got it back to $500 last July with a hard pull.  In November 2011, I got a WalMart card @ $800 initial CL, and they just raised it to $1,000.  I got the WalMart card primarily for the free score, and took advantage of their 0% for 6 months when I got the card.  When I got my notice recently that my CL was increased, they sent me a "coupon" for 0% financing for 12 months, and the "coupon" can be used anytime till 12/31/12.  I cancelled my Sam's membership after they cut my credit line...i had been using it only for gas purchases, anyway.  So, the Sam's card has been living in the sock drawer since March, 2008 and will stay there until they cancel it for no activity. It really torqued me that they cut my credit limit by more than half and never notified me.  JCPenney cut my CL in 2008, too, but at least they sent me notice that "due to current economic conditions...yada, yada, yada".  At the time it was $1700, cut to $1,000, but now with auto CLIs, it's up to $3,500.

Nice, Congrats!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.