Valued Contributor
ryanbush

Re: Walmart Amex Bluebird is Here Now!!!!

so basically it's a checking account... without checks...

I like it as i haven't wrote a check in years... and i can deposit money at walmarts 24/7 (they're everywhere)

if they will allow you to manage it form the same website that you manage your credit cards from and transfer money seemlessly between bluebird and an amex savings account (.90APY) i think i will ditch my bank checking and savings, and go with amex bluebird and savings

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Valued Contributor
Duncanrr

I take my cue from Ms. Granger on this one:

boredclap.gif

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Autumnslight

Bluebird looks pretty great. I would consider ditching my regular checking account, except there are two features I need that Bluebird doesn't have. Bluebird doesn't allow a check to be deposited if it's drawn on another account that you yourself own, so I wouldn't be able to deposit reimbursement checks from my HSA account. And Bluebird also doesn't allow checks drawn on banks outside of the US to be deposited, which I get regularly. So for both of those things, I'd still have to deposit the checks into my local checking account, then transfer the money to Bluebird. Not worth it. :smileysad:

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Valued Contributor
ryanbush

what i want to know is how seemlessly you can transfer money between bluebird and amex savings

Autumnslight wrote:

Bluebird looks pretty great. I would consider ditching my regular checking account, except there are two features I need that Bluebird doesn't have. Bluebird doesn't allow a check to be deposited if it's drawn on another account that you yourself own, so I wouldn't be able to deposit reimbursement checks from my HSA account. And Bluebird also doesn't allow checks drawn on banks outside of the US to be deposited, which I get regularly. So for both of those things, I'd still have to deposit the checks into my local checking account, then transfer the money to Bluebird. Not worth it. :smileysad:

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Super Contributor
Ron1

[ Edited ]

I went to register the card and I got denied because I have the Serve Card :smileysad:

Thank you for
choosing Bluebird.

Sorry, but we cannot approve you for a Bluebird Account at this time because you have an existing Serve Account. If you have any questions, please contact us by calling Customer Service at 1-877-486-5990.    

Ron.                                     

Frequent Contributor
TheConductor

Yeah, apparently this card is running on the Serve platform.

Which is weird, because the Serve card is explicitly US-only and no good for foreign transactions, whereas the Bluebird explicitly advertises its lack of foreign transaction fees and the FAQ says it can be used abroad.

Looks like Bluebird basically makes both Serve and AmEx Prepaid obsolete. Best features of both in one card. Sucks if you have a Serve account, though....have you called to see if they will product change you to Bluebird?

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12)
Current: EQ 670 (myFICO 9/8/14), EX 694 (Prosper 7/17/14) , TU 693 (WalMart 9/2/14) Goal: 700+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Amex Zync NPSL (> 10k), C1 Venture VS $5k, Amex SPG $4.5k, Walmart (Store) $2.5k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Best Buy Rewards MC $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k
Valued Contributor
ryanbush

i went ahead and signed up, i'm going to wait a few more months before i ditch the bank i've been with for the last 10 years, but it will be nice to see how it goes....

Super Contributor
Ron1

[ Edited ]

I just called them to see if they were able to switch my Serve card into Blue Bird. They told me I had to close the Serve card. They closed it and they're going to sent me a check for the balance of the account.  I have to wait 2 days to register for the BlueBird.

Ron.

Valued Contributor
maiden_girl

That's a nice looking card.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)

Frequent Contributor
TheConductor

Interesting analysis of what Bluebird means to the conventional banking landscape, in this article from American Banker:

http://www.americanbanker.com/bankthink/american-express-bluebird-is-a-no-fee-checking-account-not-a...

Excerpt:

"Most likely these customers don't care about FDIC insurance.  Many dislike banks. Reciprocally, banks may dislike this lower-income customer group.

So, is Bluebird actually good for your bank because "Bluebirds are voracious insect consumers"—and Amex will gulp down unprofitable depositors you don't want? 

If not, open your eyes and see how to keep these customers"

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12)
Current: EQ 670 (myFICO 9/8/14), EX 694 (Prosper 7/17/14) , TU 693 (WalMart 9/2/14) Goal: 700+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Amex Zync NPSL (> 10k), C1 Venture VS $5k, Amex SPG $4.5k, Walmart (Store) $2.5k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Best Buy Rewards MC $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}