Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart App

tag
jdogi
Contributor

Re: Walmart App

If you want one, I highly recommend doing it in store.  I app'd online with a 780+ TU FICO (from MyFico) score a few months ago and got the... processing... wait X-X days...blah blah blah message.  When I called, they asked me the identity verification questions (I've been through it dozens of times) and I'm expect to get the Discover with ~3500-$4k limit, based on what I had heard about their limits, etc.  Instead, I get an I'm sorry, you are denied.

I'm fairly certain that the person I talked to actually messed the whole app up.  I probably could have fought my way through to an empowered representative if I had the will, but I realized that I didn't' want to deal with any more hack companies (sorry GE, but you are).  So I got no store card, no Discover card, and one free hard pull/inquiry and I walked away somewhat glad that I don't have that account lowering my AAoA and providing nothing resembling customer service.

If you can help it, I say stay away from the bottom feeder banks unless you absolutely have to (we've all had to at some point(s))  Try to grow the limits you have so that you can eventually get a card that is worth having (Discover, AMEX, a good credit union, etc)

By the way, I wanted the card only for the TU Fico as well.  I rarely shop in the store and would never have used their card, ever.  A week or two later, I app'd for a credit union Visa and got a $15k limit.  I also closed my two other GE credit lines.  I won't be working with GE anytime in the near future unless I need a new refrigerator or something. ;-)

Message 11 of 15
oracles
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

I think i will travel to the store and do it in person, just to make sure there are no hiccups.

Maybe i should wait at least 2 more months just to ensure me a discover with an overall lower util% on my credit reports

Message 12 of 15
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

If there is no immediate need for the card it is always best to wait out a short term for the application when there is reason to believe the credit report will be in better shape (i.e. lowered utilization or a negative will drop). I know that as credit improves that better terms come along as far as CLI's, etc. But if you were negative when you started your history with the individual creditor that information will always be in your file.

I believe it was HTSU who put it best "Treat the application like you would a first date and always look and act your best". Not an exact quote but in the spirit of her advice.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 15
learnin113
Established Contributor

I believe you're a shoo in...for the Discover even. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 15
oracles
Valued Contributor

@learnin113 wrote:

I believe you're a shoo in...for the Discover even. Smiley Wink

Really? Even with the high util% of 45%

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.