Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Available Credit Question

tag
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Walmart Available Credit Question

I pushed a payment through my bank's bill pay site. I know Paypal Smartconnect will hold funds for 20-21 days after the payment is withdrawn from your account if you pay them through their website. If you send the payment through Billpay, it seems that your available credit reflects the payment immediately.

So- since Walmart is run through the same company, I made a larger payment through billpay, and it posted. (and was deducted from my bank account)

However, the payment posted on the 11th, and it is not reflecting in my available credit yet. The payment was only for $400. Is this unusual, or common? When might I see the payment reflected in my available credit? I made an additional payment today to PIF the account through Walmart's website since I don't really care when that reflects too much. (I thought I did it yesterday but I guess I didn't so I might pay interest on that bit of a balance remaining- darn it!)

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Walmart Available Credit Question

@notfancy wrote:

I pushed a payment through my bank's bill pay site. I know Paypal Smartconnect will hold funds for 20-21 days after the payment is withdrawn from your account if you pay them through their website. If you send the payment through Billpay, it seems that your available credit reflects the payment immediately.

So- since Walmart is run through the same company, I made a larger payment through billpay, and it posted. (and was deducted from my bank account)

However, the payment posted on the 11th, and it is not reflecting in my available credit yet. The payment was only for $400. Is this unusual, or common? When might I see the payment reflected in my available credit? I made an additional payment today to PIF the account through Walmart's website since I don't really care when that reflects too much. (I thought I did it yesterday but I guess I didn't so I might pay interest on that bit of a balance remaining- darn it!)

Not all companies will add the overpayment to your available credit.

Message 2 of 12
dtjones052209
Regular Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

I just paid my PP SmartConnect bill on there website and it reflected the payment right away and was immediately available on my credit availability amount.

That is odd that they don't reflect unless you use billpay.

Message 3 of 12
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

Not all companies will add the overpayment to your available credit.

I didn't over pay, I paid the account down. It's just odd that it shows no payment due now, shows that I made a payment of $400, but my available credit is still about $100. (it doesn't show the payment I made today yet which is fine, I don't expect it to be immediate). I'm just confused that they clearly got the payment, posted it... but the credit isn't available to use yet.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Message 4 of 12
starry1
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, while the law says they have to credit payments the same day they are received, there is nthing that says that have to give you available credit right away.  They still hold my payments too.  i have no idea yet when they will loosen the strings on me.

I find it kind of strange because my other GE account, Amazon, gives me my credit in a day or two, while Wally sometimes holds me up for 10 days or so.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 5 of 12
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@starry1 wrote:

Unfortunately, while the law says they have to credit payments the same day they are received, there is nthing that says that have to give you available credit right away.  They still hold my payments too.  i have no idea yet when they will loosen the strings on me.

I find it kind of strange because my other GE account, Amazon, gives me my credit in a day or two, while Wally sometimes holds me up for 10 days or so.

Yeah I know they're newer accounts. I get it... it's just odd. I made a payment of about 1.5k on Cap 1 and  that is already credited and available. In fact, my second payment to PIF it (I miscalculated since I didn't notice the  pending payments) has me with a neg balance! lol It's funny. I can't access 400 out of 600 of my limit on Wally but at least Cap 1 trusts me.

I'm kind of not liking the company that runs Wally and Paypal. I think I'm closing PP at the 1 year mark, Wally I might keep but use sparingly.

Message 6 of 12
pembrokepride
Contributor

@dtjones052209 wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

I just paid my PP SmartConnect bill on there website and it reflected the payment right away and was immediately available on my credit availability amount.

X2 I have been paying my PP SmartConnect bill through the website for a long time now and it is immediately availble credit.

In garden as of 04-06-14 to 12/01/14

Starting score EQ MyFico 646 11/29/13 Current 691 EQ MyFico SW 04/03/14
Starting score EX MyFico 657 12/01/13 Current 686 EX MyFico 03/01/14
Starting score TU MyFico 627 12/02/13 Current 696 Barkclay 03/26/14
Message 7 of 12
notfancy
Valued Contributor

I spoke with them via their chat function. It didn't help. Basically, my account with them is so new that they are going to sit on my payments for 3-5 days (supposedly) since I made a "large" payment. I don't consider $400 to be all that large, but okay. Interestingly- I paid $400 via bill pay on the 7th, and it posted to my account on the 11th. I paid $92 on the 13th via their website and it posted to my account that day. However, as of today the 16th.. my available credit is still only $108 of a measly $600 limit. I'm trying to be patient, but I'm highly irked by this. The funny part is all the spammy emails I get multiple times a day for their sales, and even if I wanted to, I can't take advantage of them (at least not with their card) as I don't have the available credit to purchase much of any thing. Also, attached to my statement from last month are 0% promo offers for 6-24 months but I can't take advantage of those either right now. It's good for another 3 weeks, so I'm sure that I can use them eventually if I wanted to... but at this point, I'm not sure I want to, because I don't like that they're putting holds on my account payments because I'm a "new" customer.

Any ideas when I'll be considered not new any more? I might just wait them out and not use the card until then.

Message 8 of 12
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@pembrokepride wrote:

@dtjones052209 wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

X2 I have been paying my PP SmartConnect bill through the website for a long time now and it is immediately availble credit.

Again, it's an issue with my accounts being new. I think I opened the SC in November, and Walmart in Dec... so they're going to hold my payments and available credit up til some point when my accounts are aged enough for their liking.

Message 9 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I had that problem for awhile and then I realized it defaulted the payment to due date not payment date. I'm not saying that's what is happening to you just thought I would mention it. After I set the payment to the current date of payment each time payment was made my problem was solved.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.