Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart But no Sams Club

tag
anemo
Contributor

Walmart But no Sams Club

I now understand that you can use the Walmart Card in Sam's club but can someone help me understand something.

I applied for the Sam's card on 10/11/10 and was told get out.., LOL!!Smiley Mad

Today I applied for the Walmart card online and was giving and $700 limitSmiley Very Happy I asked for $1500 they told me after 4 months..

So my question is after applying at Sam's first and received the letter stating that number of accounts in collection, age of oldest account and a BK proceeding.  Are they looking at the same report?  The letter says Sam pulled EQ and today Walmart pulled EQ(I had to call in because of Fraud alert on EQ, used backdoor number)  I only have one account in collection on my EQ, my oldest account is 5 years old and my Bk was in 2004 and discharged.

I'm happy with the out come Im just confused on the Sam's Club app being their the same company.  I could of saved a inq!

Starting Score: 300 TU 300 EX
Current Score: 704 TU EX 700
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Walmart But no Sams Club

My guess is that even though they're "the same company", the standards for Sam's are stricter than those for WalMart's. So yes, they're looking at the same report, but they're more willing to let some things go for the Wally card. 'Grats on getting in!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi anema,

That's good info for folks to know.

I especially honed in on the BK - Walmart is known to be BK friendly & Sam's is not.  So, even when they are looking at the same report, they have different criteria.  And evidently  they have different perspectives on collections as well.

I have a BK reporting on my CR as well, and I'm careful when app'ing.  For example, I opened a Walmart card based on the info on these boards and others; but Sam's Club is on my 2012 list of cards to consider.  (2012 is when my BK "drops" off my report - my understanding is that they won't approve me until then, based on what folks like you have reported here).

Along the same lines -  "only" and "one account in collection" probably don't go together in the minds of a lot of lenders.  One collection is a serious derog. 

Your post is one of the reasons these forums are so helpful - it is a huge help to all of us to do a little research before app'ing and determine if we are a logical fit for the creditor we want to app with.

Even though your BK (and mine) were several years back, they impact our CR's until they age off.  Collections are the same.  To us, they seem like a hundred years ago, but as long as they are on the reports, they are very real issues to potential creditors.  Luckily, there are creditors like Walmart who will take us on, and help us grow our FICO scores and improve our credit reports.

Congrats on your new Wallie card!  And a $700 is a good starting point with them - so congrats again!

Message 3 of 9
anemo
Contributor

Thanks for the replies, hopefully the info will help others as well. Since it can be used at both I guess it's a win, win anyway. I would've like the discover version, I will set my goals for that one when my BK falls off as well.

Message 4 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

I know the Sams card is a GEMB product and if the Walmart card is, once you have a GEMB product, and you treat it right, it is easier to get other GEMB prodduct.  if you can use the Walmart card at Sams, then it is possible you might get a pre-approval at the checkout for either their Discover card or Sams club.  Don't give up on the Sams card and be patient.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 9
anemo
Contributor

Well said.. thanks!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

I know the Sams card is a GEMB product and if the Walmart card is, once you have a GEMB product, and you treat it right, it is easier to get other GEMB prodduct.  if you can use the Walmart card at Sams, then it is possible you might get a pre-approval at the checkout for either their Discover card or Sams club.  Don't give up on the Sams card and be patient.

Does anyone know if this is true if you use a Sams card at Walmart?

BTW - I was denied a CLI from Sam's a couple of weeks ago.  I got a letter detailing why.  I tried calling what I thought were the backdoor numbers.  The ones I found were for business accounts.  I was also looking to see if I could switch to the Discover.  The last rep I talked to asked for my acct#, but was unable to pull anything up as I was not speaking to someone from personal accounts. 

I checked my online account a week later, to be sure everything was still OK.  I see that they increased my limit anyway by $400.  GEMB is a bit weird.  The same week they denied me for Sams, I got an auto increase from Dillards.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

lawskool09 wrote:  GEMB is a bit weird.  The same week they denied me for Sams, I got an auto increase from Dillards.

Just remember that each merchant determines its own criteria.  So, what makes Dillards happy (including your history of activities with their card) does not mean that Sams will be happy.  It's kind of like asking out two daughters from the same family.  Just 'cuz one finds you dreamy, doesn't mean the other will give you the time of day.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

Does anyone know if this is true if you use a Sams card at Walmart?

Yes and you can also pay your Sams card bill there too.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.