Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart CLI denied

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Walmart CLI denied

After being approved for my first GE card, Amazon, for $1100 I then tried Walmart the next day (after reading it grows well and for the free TU FICO). I was instantly approved for $500 yesterday so as its my lowest limit I called up the backdoor number just now to request a CLI. I ended up on the phone for 20 mins, and at first he was saying he couldn't pull my credit report, and had I frozen it. I've never frozen any of my CRA's and said I only applied for the car yesterday and was approved. After another long period of waiting he said he'd been able to pull up my report and wasn't able to offer me a raise. I'd asked for $3k. Disappointed, but I hope that it hasn't cost me a hard pull, which I fear it may have.
Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart CLI denied

In all likelihood, it was a SP.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 17
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Agreed, GE/Walmart card should be SP everytime.  You'll probably get 2 letters explaining the denial if you did the online system and over the phone.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 3 of 17
jatneal
New Contributor

Dont feel bad.  I just called to get a CLI with Walmart as well....big fat no.  Atleast your initial CL was $500.  I got a measly $150 Smiley Sad

There is nothing I can buy with that.  Maybe toiletries here and there ;/

Message 4 of 17
Karunch
Contributor

While it sucks to not be able to get a CLI at the account opening with GE you can request a CLI every 4 months.  Your account will definitely grow over time.  My Walmart Card went from $400 when it was opened September 2011, and it's now $2,400....  Also I've never done it, but from what I've read on here calling and talking to the underwriters is a SP, not a HP.  But as with everything, YMMV. 

Message 5 of 17
CreditJim
Established Contributor

I have used the card since, bought $66 worth of toiletries and PIF once the balance posted. Seems very slow for the balance to post and payment to post. Hopefully with a little bit of useage each month PIF I'll get an increase around 4 months.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 6 of 17
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Please ask for something specific at your reach...

They offer $500 and you ask for $3000( 6x) meanwhile your credit not that great ??

Maybe 1500 or less then 3000 after 4 months ???

Play it right then you should get to where you want to........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 17
tld409
Regular Contributor

Definitely wait until your 4th statement cuts. I tried about 3 times before the 4th statement and I was denied overtime.  I requested an increase up to $5000 and approvedSmiley Happy  My starting limit was $700 and this did not change until after 4 months!   I know it is hard but be patient. 

Starting Score 630 Score: Current FICO Scores: All above 725 (04/01/2015)
Sallie Mae World MC 9k; Chase Freedom 6.5k; CareCredit 13.2k; Amex BCP 21.8k;Amex PRG; BOA123 Visa Sig 20k; CapOne WMC 7.5K; CSP Visa Sig 2K; Citi Simp Visa 6.9k; CFCU Visa 17k; Discover IT 7K; JCP MC 8K; Macys Amex 7.5K/2k; PSECU Visa/PSL 20/20K; SamsClub MC 20k; Walmart 10k
Message 8 of 17
RSCo
Established Contributor

@tld409 wrote:

Definitely wait until your 4th statement cuts. I tried about 3 times before the 4th statement and I was denied overtime.  I requested an increase up to $5000 and approvedSmiley Happy  My starting limit was $700 and this did not change until after 4 months!   I know it is hard but be patient. 

You nailed it.. I opened mine in Nov 2012 and after my 4th statement they bumped me from the opening amount of 600.00 to 800.00.. not huge, but they did it automatically without me knowing... I'm going to call them in 2 months or so and ask for 3k.. 

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 9 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I worked the system after the 2nd month I think with calling the backdoor number and they raised it from $500 to $1000.  Then I asked after the third month using the automated system and it was declined, but on the 4th month I got bumped to $1700 when I called and asked the automated system.  I will probably try again in 4 months and see.  I keep telling them I want the DIscover card, but now I think I don't!  (I have a true Discover card now.)

With a little time and patience all should work out.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.