Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Card Pre Approval Letter or Cart Trick

tag
TFreshStart
Valued Member

Walmart Card Pre Approval Letter or Cart Trick

Hi I have ready a few stories of people being approved for the Walmart store card via the "shopping cart trick" but I can seem to find much detail posted about it. I am familar with the Comenity Bank shopping cart trick and I have gotten this to work several times, just curious on the specifics of the GE Walmart cart trick? On person mentioned she previously applied and was declined and a few monts later she was pre approved during an onlline checkout. Another said she was also previously declined and received a pre approval in the mail months later.

For those of you that received these offers my questions are:

Do you have to be previously declined to be on their pre approval radar?

Do you have to have an existing online Walmart account? Or can you check out as guest?

What were your scores / baddies like when you received the preapproval letter or pop up offer?

Just wondering if I can truly get this card without a hard pull.

Thanks T

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Card Pre Approval Letter or Cart Trick

I don't think there is any walmart pre approval and there is no shopping cart trick. I think for the shopping cart trick, the only bank that does that is Comnety bank. (they issue Victoria's secret, Express, Lane Bryant, etc)

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

I don't think there is any walmart pre approval and there is no shoit.ping cart trick. I think for the shopping cart trick, the only bank that does that is Comnety bank. (they issue Victoria's secret, Express, Lane Bryant, etc)

+ 1 Sams sometimes give a preapproval at the till but never heard of Walmart doing I

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 8
TFreshStart
Valued Member

@notfancy wrote:

I don't think there is any walmart pre approval and there is no shopping cart trick. I think for the shopping cart trick, the only bank that does that is Comnety bank. (they issue Victoria's secret, Express, Lane Bryant, etc)

I am very familar with the Comnety back trick, I got it to work on about 7 differnt stores I used restraint and I only accepted two Smiley Happy

I came accorss this post from 2012

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Pre-Approved-for-Walmart-Store-Card/td-p/1279029

She states she did receive a pop up at Walmart. I haven't found anything recent on it so many they don't do it anymore.

Thanks for your input.

Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@TFreshStart wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

I am very familar with the Comnety back trick, I got it to work on about 7 differnt stores I used restraint and I only accepted two Smiley Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Pre-Approved-for-Walmart-Store-Card/td-p/1279029

She states she did receive a pop up at Walmart. I haven't found anything recent on it so many they don't do it anymore.

Thanks for your input.

It is offered, but very infrequently.  It doesn't work like the shopping cart trick like Comenity though.  However, there are a couple of GECRB CC's that do this depending on when they run those pre-approved promotions (Dillard's and WalMart).  Sometimes individuals can also receive pre-approved offers by mail from GECRB.

If you don't see anything recent, that would likely mean it's not being currently offered, otherwise you would see more recent threads on that topic.

Message 5 of 8
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@TFreshStart wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

Thanks for your input.

It is offered, but very infrequently.  It doesn't work like the shopping cart trick like Comenity though.  However, there are a couple of GECRB CC's that do this depending on when they run those pre-approved promotions (Dillard's and WalMart).  Sometimes individuals can also receive pre-approved offers by mail from GECRB.

If you don't see anything recent, that would likely mean it's not being currently offered, otherwise you would see more recent threads on that topic.

+1...I personally got a POPUP from ShopNBC (which is backed by GECRB) a few months ago. I had gotten a mailer a few days before that. So, my guess is that on the few stores GECRB offers pre-approvals on, it's based on a recent mailed offer they did. Comenity on the other hand soft pulls you right there and then to see if you qualify.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 6 of 8
yepbob
New Contributor

I applied online last year a few mos after my bk discharge and was denied... I got a "you're preapproved" letter in the mail from Walmart in August which I thought was wrong... I tried it anyway and entered the preapproval code online and was instantly approved online for $600 cl ... I already got $100 cli in November. My TU score was 642 at the time
Fico Scores as of 1/6/2014 from MyFICO
EX FICO - 649 / EQ FICO - 616 / TU FICO - 649
Lender pull 4/1/2014- EX-664 / TU - 675 / EQ - 626

Kohls - $300 Credit One - $600 WM - $700 Sams - $500
Amazon $600 PayPal MC - $300 NFCU $1000 Cap 1 - $2500
Cap 1 Plat: $2000 Von Maur - no limit set NFCU Nav Check - $10k
Message 7 of 8
TFreshStart
Valued Member

Yepbob thanks for sharing, this is helpful. Do you know what your score was when you were declined? Wonder how much of an improvement they wanted to see before the extended their pre approval offer?

I applied and was denied but my score has improved since then. Wonder if they will soft my report sometime in the future. I don't want another hard pull.

Thanks
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.