Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Card report Activity Question

tag
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Walmart Card report Activity Question

I just bought some Gillette Fusion razor blades from Walmart and put them on my store card. I paid a 5 dollar delivery fee to get them sent to my house because there is no Walmart near me and this was something that I actually needed that I could charge on my card. i did that because I realised that I have had my card for almost 4 months and although I have had some actvity and run about 200 dollars through it, I have never had a balance on the statement date, my account has never generated a statement, and my credit reports have never reported a balance (although some have reported a payment and a high balance of over 0). I was reading a recent discover thread and someone was denied a CLI because they had a bunch of zero dollar balances at the end of the month. I am not going to go overboard with this strategy, I just wanted to make sure that I had a balance on my report for this card before I hit the 6 month mark so that it doesn't get closed for inactivity and in hopes that I can get a CLI soon... Did I do the right thing? Should I try to have a balance on the statement date even if it is just 2 dollars every statement date? I have 3 cards I am using to improve my credit and I am very afraid of going into debt and thus want to use them the minimal amount possible. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cottontop
Contributor

Re: Walmart Card report Activity Question

Walmart has everything you need.  Why not just keep a shopping list, and when you can order enough to get free shipping for things you have to have anyway, run it through the card.  Stick the $ in an envelope if you must, just like you ran to the store for those items.  You won't get hurt on price, they are the lowest around..

But yes, using it for things you need to show activity can't hurt.

Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 2 of 7
Thorin
Valued Member

You don't have to use the card at Walmart, AFAIK.  Next time you get milk or make another small purchase, just use the Walmart card.

I wouldn't use it for rewards though, since they are so terrible (starting at 0.25% last time I checked).

Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

dddewdrop this is a very good question I too have been wondering.
I have walmarts all around but get so busy sometimes I just don't feel like fighting the crowds so to speak and as a result this month I may have a $0 balance.

It's also my 4th statement so I'm a little concerned. In the past if I didn't go to the store I just ordered online which has still been fairly reasonable priced. I got a 20 LB box delivered for if I remeber right $3.94. 

So you may wish to order one big shippment a month. Hopefully they will still cut me a statement this month with a $0 balance....fingers crossed

Otherwise I will have to wait an extra month a apply for a CLI

We both shall see right? Good luck

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
cottontop
Contributor

Thorin,  looks like just the Store Card that OP has available.

Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 5 of 7
Thorin
Valued Member

Ah, didn't even check his signature. 

In that case, I'd do what you said initially.  Make a list and buy from them in bulk.  I put one transaction on my Walmart Discover (a couple bucks) every 4-5 months or so, I doubt the store card would be different as far as activity is concerned.

Message 6 of 7
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Yes is indeed the store card. There is a Walmart like,, well actually there are 2 Walmarts equidistant from me but it costs me about 10 dollars in gas round trip and takes almost an hour each way. I am still going to try for a CLI at the 4 month mark and I plan on asking to be raised from 400 to 1200 because I am going to say I am considering getting a big screen tv and want to put it on my card.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.