cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Credit Approval after rebuilding $1200 CL!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart Credit Approval after rebuilding $1200 CL!!

Hey all! Im fairly new to the boards. I have been working on rebuilding my credit for the past 5-6 years after misusing it during my college years. March 2011, my baddies start falling off and my reports will be fresh and new.. Luckily within the past year, I have been able to pick up some rebuilder cards, First Premier, Capital One, a sub prime auto loan that reports monthly, and most recently received an in store JcPenney card with 200 balance. My baddies still include JcPenney and Walmart, however, those were my favorties and still are and I have regretted losing them for years. I applied for Walmart back in April and was denied, however, i paid the balance down on my rebuilder cards and my fico jumped about 40 points. I went into Walmart today and decided to give it one more try and got a receipt that said to call within 48 hours to verify my identity and answer questions. I called, answered questions and found out I was approved for the Walmart store card for 1200!!! I couldnt believe it, considering none of my other cards are anywhere near that balance and my transunion fico is 643, , Im shocked and excited at the same time but wanted to share my experience. I cant believe that in April they denied me, but in July they approved me and not for a small cl, for 1200, crazy stuff, still in shock and cant wait till card gets here in 7-10 days. Also, the walmart card I had in college started with a 75 cl and I had much better credit then, so who knows whats going on, but Im not complaining.. Good luck out there! Shannon

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Datx
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Credit Approval after rebuilding $1200 CL!!

Thank you for sharing your journey on rebuilding your credit, and congrats on your new card! I am in a similar situation as yours, I made some bad decisions in my college years and im also trying to rebuild. I was reading through some reviews on the Walmart card and saw a few approvals on a low score and decided to apply a couple of weeks back. This was done online and I got a message that I will get a reply in 7-10 days. Had a feeling I was not going to get approved, I called and got confirmation of the disapproval. So Im going to give it about 6 or so more months and try again. Hopefully my scores will get to where they need to be by using my Cap One and Orchard rebuilder cards.  I go to Walmart at least once a week, and I think this would be the perfect card for me.  This thread certainly gives me hope. Thanks again for sharing!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yes, no prob!! I wish I would have found this site sooner. I am in the perfect time in the "rebuilding" process, next year most of the last of the baddies will fall off from the college years and I have found that some are falling off even before the dates they state they will.. (Nice!) Dont give up for sure, when I called in and spoke with a walmart csr, they told me to go in to the store to apply always, much better chance of approval and higher credit limit. I applied in store in April and was denied. However, in the last few months, some baddies that were supposed to fall off next year fell off in the past few months and I paid down the balances of my rebuilder cards. I also got approved got an instant in store JcPenney card. Which if you are rebuiliding, you might want to try for in store, they seem to approve lower scores sometimes. I find alot of help from this site, www.financialglobe.com and www.whogavemecredit.com in terms of approvals and credit scores.

I applied a second time online for the walmart card in May, but got the 7-10 day message, the email said the application was too soon within 30 days of the last credit application. I knew my fico had just jumped 40 points. They checked Transunion in April and thats what I was counting on, so last weekend I walked into Walmart and applied, got the receipt, called and got shocked with the 1200 approval. I found out they checked my Equifax, which is strange since they checked TU before, these companies are so finicky, lol. So the moral of the story is, wait a few months and you are right, they will give you a chance. My first walmart card in college was a 75 credit limit. I dont know why they gave me 1200, I will never spend that much and for walmart from what I have researched, that is high, but I will take it and run, hehe... Good luck on reestablishing. I thought at the beginning of the year that I would have to wait until all of my baddies fell of next year before getting any credit. 10/09 I got the Premier card for rebuiliding, 04/10 I got capital one, 05/10 JcPenney 200, now walmart and also chevron/texaco for 350, which is also backed by GEMB, they checked my TU here in Tx..

Please keep me posted on your credit adventure, it is possible, if I could do it, I know you can! Oh, P.S. I have a Backdoor Reconsideration number for Walmart : I called and spoke with a very nice guy in the underwriting dept who told me that you have to wait until you right after you just apply for a card either in store, or online, not 5 days or 15, and call in and they have the power to override the denial. He told me to reapply in July and if I was denied, call back and it could be overridden. If you want the number, I will give you the number I called to get to them and then you will have to ask for the dept, because I threw the ext away after approval, but the dept exists and the guy made it sound like it was really possible, but must be done right after applying. If you want number, let me know... ~Shannon

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyCreditStinks wrote:

Thank you for sharing your journey on rebuilding your credit, and congrats on your new card! I am in a similar situation as yours, I made some bad decisions in my college years and im also trying to rebuild. I was reading through some reviews on the Walmart card and saw a few approvals on a low score and decided to apply a couple of weeks back. This was done online and I got a message that I will get a reply in 7-10 days. Had a feeling I was not going to get approved, I called and got confirmation of the disapproval. So Im going to give it about 6 or so more months and try again. Hopefully my scores will get to where they need to be by using my Cap One and Orchard rebuilder cards.  I go to Walmart at least once a week, and I think this would be the perfect card for me.  This thread certainly gives me hope. Thanks again for sharing!

I hear your chances are better if you apply in-store. They usually always grant higher CL's as well which could explain the OPs approval.

Congrats Shannon Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Datx
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the offer on the backdoor number. At this time, im just going to stay away from applying to anything else. Just goint to focus on the cards I have, and try to remove my baddies. Then when my CR looks a bit cleaner in about 6 months, I'll go to my local walmart store and try again.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure! I think u are taking a great step at financial responsibility for waiting. Plus, if you wait for around Xmas time, you might just get easier approvals with higher limits in store or pre approvals online with a credit card... Good Luck my friend, Im sure you will have one very soon.. Shannon

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.