Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Discover Financial Assistance

tag
blackdust
Established Member

Walmart Discover Financial Assistance

Walmart sent me a letter today saying they have financial assistance if I qualify but the account will be closed if I sign up for there assistance. Should I go ahead and get on the financial assistance? or will this just make my credit a lot worse. I dont really need good credit for about 3 years and I am bearly making the bills as is.

app free since 11/24/12 In Garden Until December 31st 2013
Walmart Discover 3,000 : Meijer 600 : Local Bank Card 500 : Capital One Platinum 500 : Best Buy Reward Zone 400 : Chase Slate 200
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Walmart Discover Financial Assistance

You need to read the fine print / details to find out what this really means. If they offer you a reduced payoff then it's very likely that it will be reported as settled, which will hurt your FICO® score.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 28
blackdust
Established Member

Says they can do

Payment Matching

Late Fee Credits

Intrest Charge Credits

---

I am only a month late so far...

Walmart Discover 3,000 : Meijer 600 : Local Bank Card 500 : Capital One Platinum 500 : Best Buy Reward Zone 400 : Chase Slate 200
Message 3 of 28
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 28
blackdust
Established Member

I can get current with the account. I just want to pay less if I can without making my credit go bad. I think I need good credit to get a job after I finish school.

Message 5 of 28
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Not only will financial assistance be a derog on your cr, your other lenders may take note. IMO, pay your bill as is- don't use your cc's until you can handle your monthly pyts.
As the balance decreases your monthly pyts will increase too.

Good luck.
Message 6 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

GE has several payment assistance plans... If you pay, they will not hurt your credit and if you are barely hanging on now or falling behind if anything they might help your credit because you will hopefully be able to make the payments and there for keep it current for credit reporting and start to slowly pay it down because it's low interest and it's closed so you can't charge.

If you want to stay current but can't really on your own, call and see what options you have... GE uses a computer system so you can get different answers each month (each statement that is... if you are currently less than 30 days behind and next week you are 31 days behind the offer might change) the reps have to ask you questions that may seem silly or repeated, they are simply clicking boxes on the computer so make it simple... give them short direct answers... they could care less (okay, they might care about you and the situation but they can't do anything outside the computer)

income coming in (make it simple) I'll use examples --- you can't come out negative!!!!

income - $1000

Rent - $600

Car - $200

Util. $50

anything else or other credit - SIMPLE $50 don't start listing them all

student loans

etc. money...

if you come out around 100-200 left - great

i know it seems silly but you come to a negative number and it will not give you a deal... it says your negative, you won't be able to make the payments, so why put you in it.

what you paying now (if you paid min?) $100? they will ask how much you could pay (say $25) the system will generate the number regardless of what you say!

if you get offered plan which clearly you will/are because they sent letter... you might get 12 months of payments at $28/month with reduced interest to 9.9% and probably will offer something with interest kickback or something... each payment on time they will give you a percentage of payment or interest paid... if you can only make the new payment minimum then you won't get much of this bonus but if you get a few months down the road and can start paying bigger then it's free money basically back towards your balance by making larger payments.

the account will report on time payments if you make the payments in the plan, they also do not close the account out on your credit even though they do close it out... so until it reaches a $0 balance they still report it open even though it's closed so you don't get the huge score ding for a closed account with balance.

any questions? yes ive gone through this with GE and target! (well lots of banks actually! lol) sorry you find yourself in this place but you have some options to save your credit and pay all the debt if you take it.

Message 7 of 28
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1. Pretty sure that any of those options will result in a "settled for less" notation on your reports.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Not only will financial assistance be a derog on your cr, your other lenders may take note. IMO, pay your bill as is- don't use your cc's until you can handle your monthly pyts.
As the balance decreases your monthly pyts will increase too.

Good luck.

this financial assistance is different then using some debt settlement service... this is in house and will NOT hurt your credit if you bring it current and make the payments in the plan....

if you are say currently 90 days late and you get set up on a plan to pay $25 but your current minimum is $125... they will keep reporting as you are... so instead of going 120 days late if you make the $25 payment they will keep you at 90 but if you got on the plan and then made a 1 time payment of $125 to bring it fully current they would keep you on the plan with your new minimum and reduced interest but bring it back to current on the credit reports as you are no longer late or anything.

either scenario if unable to make the 1 large payment will stop the late fees and such...

Message 9 of 28
blackdust
Established Member

My income is my student overage checks + cash assistance. I think I will try and get on a payment plan.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.