Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Discover-Was I supposed to ask for CLI before receiving the card

tag
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Walmart Discover-Was I supposed to ask for CLI before receiving the card

Can someone please clarify for me.  I would like to ask for cli on my walmart discover.  Do I activate the card first and then call the number on the back or was I supposed to ask for the cli at the time of approval or just before receiving the card?????????

Sure would appreciate the advice.

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover-Was I supposed to ask for CLI before receiving the card

Help please

Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably neither.  Everything I've read about Wal-Mart and GEMB is that they won't give you an increase until your 4th month. 

Message 3 of 14
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Ok. Guess I've read so many posts I got confused, but I could of swore I read somewhere that you could ask for the limit increase somewhere in the beginning. Smiley Sad

Thanks for the support.  I have not activated it yet.  I was awaiting some feedback regarding the best route.  Perhaps the activation cli was for another card.

Message 4 of 14
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Personally, I would have a hard time with asking any issuer for a CLI before I even have my hands on the card, or even before having and using the card responsibly for a few months.  I mean, they just pulled your credit and said how much of a CL you could have... why do you think you should be able to immediately call and ask for more?  Use what they've given you for a few months and then you can ask for more!

Message 5 of 14
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

Personally, I would have a hard time with asking any issuer for a CLI before I even have my hands on the card, or even before having and using the card responsibly for a few months.  I mean, they just pulled your credit and said how much of a CL you could have... why do you think you should be able to immediately call and ask for more?  Use what they've given you for a few months and then you can ask for more!

Well, personally I don't have a hard time asking for anything that I want.  I do however believe that this board is about positive useful advice to assist in the growth of one's credit.   I am certain that I have read the same questions I asked to be very similar concerns of others.  Also, others have spoken of great success with ulterior methods.

While I do appreciate your feedback and personal opinion... I would appreciate that you not attack my person.  I think along the lines of many others except of course you. "One definitely will not receive unless one asks!"

Thanks again for your input, but I will strive to keep my glass half full.Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Not attacking you.  I was using "you" in the general sense.  For the most part I concur with your stance on not receiving unless you ask, it's just that asking right away seems counter-intuitive.  But that's just me, I'm crazy like that. Smiley Happy  I do tend to look at things a little differently sometimes.  Seriously, though, not out to attack anyone; I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Message 7 of 14
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

LOL!  It's all good!!!!!!!Smiley Happy

I think I messed up or confused the order of the process by not asking earlier and was just trying to receive confirmation. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 14
notmyj
Regular Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

Keep reading here and you will see itis very common for a ccc to up a limit before you use or even have the card. Case in point, on Monday night I applied for a Lowes card (also backed by GEMB) and instantly approved with a $500 limit. On Tues I called the number and asked for a more usable limit of $2500. It was instantly approved. I quintupled my credit limit within 12 he's of applying and being granted the card.
BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 9 of 14
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@notmyj wrote:
Keep reading here and you will see itis very common for a ccc to up a limit before you use or even have the card. Case in point, on Monday night I applied for a Lowes card (also backed by GEMB) and instantly approved with a $500 limit. On Tues I called the number and asked for a more usable limit of $2500. It was instantly approved. I quintupled my credit limit within 12 he's of applying and being granted the card.

Oh, I know, I've read about it many times before.  It just doesn't "feel" right for me, but maybe I'll give it a shot the next time I apply for a card.

Great.  Now you've done it... which card do I apply for next?! Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.