Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Discover cash back question

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

Walmart Discover cash back question

As written on my online statement, "Remember every time you earn just $10, you will receive a check in your billing statement - it's automatic."
My question... If one signs up for paperless billing, how does one receive the $10 check? As a check mailed separately? Is the paper bill mailed also, or just the check?

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover cash back question

You will get a voided copy of the check with your online statement. They'll also mail you a paper statement that month with the real check in it.

I discovered that the employees at my local Walmart had never seen such a thing and didn't know what to do with it. Contrary to the promise that you can use it to buy things at Walmart, the check I got came with a code that enabled the clerks to cash it -- with a $3 fee -- not apply it to a purchase.

I deposited it in my bank account instead. Had no problem there. Just know that the real check comes in the mail.

Message 2 of 6
CreditAce
New Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

You will get a voided copy of the check with your online statement. They'll also mail you a paper statement that month with the real check in it.

I discovered that the employees at my local Walmart had never seen such a thing and didn't know what to do with it. Contrary to the promise that you can use it to buy things at Walmart, the check I got came with a code that enabled the clerks to cash it -- with a $3 fee -- not apply it to a purchase.

I deposited it in my bank account instead. Had no problem there. Just know that the real check comes in the mail.

Good to know! Although at the cash back rate for this card it will take me 10 years to reach $10 Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 6
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

LOL yeah.. It's the crappy .25% until you hit $3,000.
I think I have like $1.98 accumulated lol
Heh I know GE will auto send you a check if you have a statement with a "credit" or "refund" balance. I got a check for $0.03 once.
Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 6
brother7
Established Contributor

Thanks Gunnar419.
I wish they would send the check, without the statement. Or allow EFT to an external account. Kinda defeats the purpose of going green.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 5 of 6
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I thought the whole paper check was pretty pointless, too. I'd have much rather had the money as a statement credit.

I know the normal cashback on the card is hardly even worth having. But the day I got approved for my card (and ongoing as of today), they had an online promo: spend $100 at walmart.com on the first day of approval and get $20 cashback. That's how I got what's probably the only check from them that I'll ever see. They even provided a temporary online card number to enable the shopping while I awaited the arrival of the real thing.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.