Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Discover upgrade went bye bye

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Walmart Discover upgrade went bye bye

So even though I had decided not to take the offer and instead get the limit increased to what I would have gotten with the upgrade, the offer for the Discover version went bye bye.  I signed in today and was checking my account and found that it had been taken away as an offer.  I guess they figured it out that I was only interested in good rewards cards.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover upgrade went bye bye

@TiggerDat wrote:

So even though I had decided not to take the offer and instead get the limit increased to what I would have gotten with the upgrade, the offer for the Discover version went bye bye.  I signed in today and was checking my account and found that it had been taken away as an offer.  I guess they figured it out that I was only interested in good rewards cards.

Probably better that way as WM Discover will soon change to WM MC and like this you can avoid cutting your AAoA with a new account. I would wait for an offer of the MC version once that is out Smiley Happy... might also offer better rewards if rumors can be trusted..LOL

Message 2 of 18
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I just hope if they are good rewards then I haven't lost the opportunity forever.  I also wonder if they will be better than my PayPal rewards.  That thing is already in the sock drawer basically.  I think I have now have better rewards with the Sallie Mae, Dividend, and other cards I have.  I probably will just stick with the Walmart card anyway, just to use it for long term financing if I need to.  At some point you would think they would do like Target does and offer 5% back on Walmart purchases.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

I just hope if they are good rewards then I haven't lost the opportunity forever.  I also wonder if they will be better than my PayPal rewards.  That thing is already in the sock drawer basically.  I think I have now have better rewards with the Sallie Mae, Dividend, and other cards I have.  I probably will just stick with the Walmart card anyway, just to use it for long term financing if I need to.  At some point you would think they would do like Target does and offer 5% back on Walmart purchases.

A lot of people are patiently waiting to see what new walmart mc will offer, if its anything like the sam's club mc thats also getting switched over,I will jump on trying to do upgrade. Only time will tell to see what happens with new card. I also had popup for discover upgrade on my walmart card, and i can't seem to find it anymore.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 18
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

From what I've read the offer is a limited time deal. If you don't take it it's gone. I got the popup last week and took it. You have 90 days to activate the Discover card. If you don't then the offer is recinded and it's like you never accepted it (at least that's how I intrupreted the wording of the offer). I'm hoping the new MC will have the same rewards as the Sams version. However the Disc has a CL of $3k vs the $800 I had on the Walmart card so I'm planning on activating it when it arrives. WM had just denied me a CLI the previous month too... 

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 5 of 18
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

I don't think anyone should upgrade to the Discover now anyway, with the MC conversion coming down the pike. Walmart/GE problably have stopped offering Discover upgrades at the point for the same reason.  To take New TL and AAoA dings for the Discover and possibly for the MC conversion as well, is a bit much.... 

Yea just wait for the MC at this point. 

Message 6 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

I always thought the CLI was contingent on a card upgrade. is that not the case?

Message 7 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

I don't think anyone should upgrade to the Discover now anyway, with the MC conversion coming down the pike. Walmart/GE problably have stopped offering Discover upgrades at the point for the same reason.  To take New TL and AAoA dings for the Discover and possibly for the MC conversion as well, is a bit much.... 

I actually got a link on mine concerning the migration coming with Discover to MC.  There won't be a new account for this one.  It specifically stated that this change will not affect your credit and the numbers will not change.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

I actually got a link on mine concerning the migration coming with Discover to MC.  There won't be a new account for this one.  It specifically stated that this change will not affect your credit and the numbers will not change.

Thats interesting. Was there anything regarding what reward structure mc will have with walmart mc card ?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Shogun wrote:

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

Curious to know how the numbers won't change. Discover cc's start with 6's and MCs start with 5's 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.