cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Discover

Senior Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover

I don't think you'd get the Walmart Discover... Prob just the Wmt Store Card. Seems like Sam's Club Discover is easier to get even though it's the same bank. You can try though...
And the Walmart Store Card can always be upgraded after a year or two of perfect history/usage.
I started with an $800 Wmt Store and now have a $5k Wmt Discover :-D

Love the free TU score, but it's up to you!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 27
Frequent Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover

Ok, thank you. These are the only cards they offer that appeal to me so I'm not worried about the 3-4 card threshold. I suppose that I'm just nervous because up until now I've always spaced everything out and never went on an "app spree" of any kind.
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 12 of 27
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover

If the free fico is that important to you, I say just apply for it. You might get a low limit store version but it seems you want it for the Fico so that would not matter and GE is good with cli's. Heck, you might get the discover version. Who knows with them. I say just app.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 13 of 27
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover

OP;

 

Since you're not worried about your AAoA (as it's it's rather short anyway and you already have AMEX and won't take a huge hit for new apps),  you may as well apply in store  for the Wally card, you might get the WD, dunno, if  you use it, they'll raise your limit.  It's obvious you're not too worried about getting more credit afterward, just the score and then gardening.   It is nice to get one of the more "accurate" scores every month for free, other than the "ding" in AAoA, IMHO.

Message 14 of 27
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover


RyVision wrote:

OP;

 

Since you're not worried about your AAoA (as it's it's rather short anyway and you already have AMEX and won't take a huge hit for new apps),  you may as well apply in store  for the Wally card, you might get the WD, dunno, if  you use it, they'll raise your limit.  It's obvious you're not too worried about getting more credit afterward, just the score and then gardening.   It is nice to get one of the more "accurate" scores every month for free, other than the "ding" in AAoA, IMHO.


It doesn't really matter if the OP applies in-store or online...the decision will be the same. I know a lot of people feel they are more successful applying in the store...but the cashier is doing the same application you'd do at home with the "system" making the decision.

 

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 15 of 27
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover


maiden_girl wrote:

RyVision wrote:

OP;

 

Since you're not worried about your AAoA (as it's it's rather short anyway and you already have AMEX and won't take a huge hit for new apps),  you may as well apply in store  for the Wally card, you might get the WD, dunno, if  you use it, they'll raise your limit.  It's obvious you're not too worried about getting more credit afterward, just the score and then gardening.   It is nice to get one of the more "accurate" scores every month for free, other than the "ding" in AAoA, IMHO.


It doesn't really matter if the OP applies in-store or online...the decision will be the same. I know a lot of people feel they are more successful applying in the store...but the cashier is doing the same application you'd do at home with the "system" making the decision.

 


For the most part that's very true.  Unless the system has an identity issue.  There was a member here (may have been Ron or Ray, can't remember) with very good credit, scores, limits everything needed to get a stellar approval, couldn't get approved (I mentioned he may have had TOO good of credit for the online system, the kind others would love to "borrow" for online approval etc).  I and others told him to apply in store.  Others said it made no difference. 

 

Guess what, he was approved in store when online would only come back with denials.  In store always gives a somewhat better chance if there's any possibility something like that could be the issue, the cashier is doing something the online system can't, looking at ID at the time of application (usually LOL). 

 

If there's a store nearby, why risk the extra HP over something minor in the online system?

Message 16 of 27
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover


RyVision wrote:

maiden_girl wrote:

RyVision wrote:

OP;

 

Since you're not worried about your AAoA (as it's it's rather short anyway and you already have AMEX and won't take a huge hit for new apps),  you may as well apply in store  for the Wally card, you might get the WD, dunno, if  you use it, they'll raise your limit.  It's obvious you're not too worried about getting more credit afterward, just the score and then gardening.   It is nice to get one of the more "accurate" scores every month for free, other than the "ding" in AAoA, IMHO.


It doesn't really matter if the OP applies in-store or online...the decision will be the same. I know a lot of people feel they are more successful applying in the store...but the cashier is doing the same application you'd do at home with the "system" making the decision.

 


For the most part that's very true.  Unless the system has an identity issue.  There was a member here (may have been Ron or Ray, can't remember) with very good credit, scores, limits everything needed to get a stellar approval, couldn't get approved (I mentioned he may have had TOO good of credit for the online system, the kind others would love to "borrow" for online approval etc).  I and others told him to apply in store.  Others said it made no difference. 

 

Guess what, he was approved in store when online would only come back with denials.  In store always gives a somewhat better chance if there's any possibility something like that could be the issue, the cashier is doing something the online system can't, looking at ID at the time of application (usually LOL). 

 

If there's a store nearby, why risk the extra HP over something minor in the online system?


LOL he better had gotten approved for the Discover version after all that trouble! Smiley Very Happy That's weird tho. Usually if there's an identity issue or whatnot...the system doesn't deny you. They just keep your app "in process" when you really need to call after like 2 days to see what's going on with your app. That happened to me when I applied to Walmart. I didn't get the instant approval--I got that waiting message and when I called in like 4 days later to check on my app status...they told me I had to verify my identity before the account could be opened (app spree mishap) Ha.

 

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 17 of 27
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover


maiden_girl wrote:

RyVision wrote:

For the most part that's very true.  Unless the system has an identity issue.  There was a member here (may have been Ron or Ray, can't remember) with very good credit, scores, limits everything needed to get a stellar approval, couldn't get approved (I mentioned he may have had TOO good of credit for the online system, the kind others would love to "borrow" for online approval etc).  I and others told him to apply in store.  Others said it made no difference. 

 

Guess what, he was approved in store when online would only come back with denials.  In store always gives a somewhat better chance if there's any possibility something like that could be the issue, the cashier is doing something the online system can't, looking at ID at the time of application (usually LOL). 

 

If there's a store nearby, why risk the extra HP over something minor in the online system?


LOL he better had gotten approved for the Discover version after all that trouble! Smiley Very Happy That's weird tho. Usually if there's an identity issue or whatnot...the system doesn't deny you. They just keep your app "in process" when you really need to call after like 2 days to see what's going on with your app. That happened to me when I applied to Walmart. I didn't get the instant approval--I got that waiting message and when I called in like 4 days letter to check on my app status...they told me I had to verify my identity before the account could be opened (app spree mishap) Ha.

 


 

I don't remember if they got the store or WD, I'm hoping they see this thread and chime in (it was an unexpected low limit but they just wanted it mostly for the score).  Others have had similar problems which, to me, makes it enough of a worry that if I were going to apply for a store card I'd do so in store.  Your situation I think is more common for delays online but as for out right denials, I won't risk the HP, though I'm not looking at any more store cards for now. I just have Kohls, BB and .....  well, just Kohls and BB, now that Wally switched me to WD this summer. Smiley LOL

 

I thought PayPal Smart Connect was a "Store card" ("charge account" on reports) but on EQ it lists it as "credit card" so I guess not. Of course there's no "Store" to go "into" for that one Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 27
Senior Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover

Agreed with RyVision... Or Ive seen people just approved online for $100 with directions to go to the store to get the full approval...
I got $800 with Wally World back in 2010 initially... Score was like 640'ish. Hhi at that time like $70k.
I app'ed in store with access to my full line!:-):-):-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 19 of 27
Frequent Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover

I decided to apply online the other night and was given the 7-10 day notice. I called in today to check the status of my application and after verifying some information I was approved for the walmart Discover with a measly $1,600.00 limit. It's the lowest limit I have but I don't care because I got the Discover version and won't have to wait for an upgrade later not to mention I only want the free trans union score anyway. Now I just have to wait for it to come in the mail and set up the paperless statements. Garden here I come.
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 20 of 27