Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart FICO vs. Transunion FICO Interesting

tag
vollybal
Regular Contributor

Walmart FICO vs. Transunion FICO Interesting

So WE went and bought an SUV this weekend to lower our payments and get something new(have better credit scores since the last car loan). Anyways, when We went into the dealership I really wanted them to use my EQ but they pull TU. THey came back and told me it was 585!?!?! WHAT!!?!?! That is way lower than I thought it was. So then I asked them if it was auto enhanced and they said no it was a true TU score. Ok, not the score I wanted as my two others are 620+...Well I prefaced with that to see that today I logged into walmart and checked my TU score with them and it was updated for this month so I expected to see something close to the 585 but OH NO IT WAS 643!?!?! Ok I can see if it was a little off but over 50 points difference...Really makes me think that the scoring system that Walmart is using is not a true FICO score.

Has anyone else see such a difference in their True FICO and the Walmart's website TU scores?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Walmart FICO vs. Transunion FICO Interesting

You're going to take the car dealers word for it?

I've seen many, many, many car dealers "mis inform" buyers about their credit score...it helps pad the interest rate on your new loan.

I'll take the Walmart TU08 score over anything a car dealer offers.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably different FICO models. Walmart is suspected to be TU08. The lender could have used an older model.
Message 3 of 19
littlesister
Contributor

My walmart score is 5 points lower then my fico score from here.

Message 4 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@vollybal wrote:

So WE went and bought an SUV this weekend to lower our payments and get something new(have better credit scores since the last car loan). Anyways, when We went into the dealership I really wanted them to use my EQ but they pull TU. THey came back and told me it was 585!?!?! WHAT!!?!?! That is way lower than I thought it was. So then I asked them if it was auto enhanced and they said no it was a true TU score. Ok, not the score I wanted as my two others are 620+...Well I prefaced with that to see that today I logged into walmart and checked my TU score with them and it was updated for this month so I expected to see something close to the 585 but OH NO IT WAS 643!?!?! Ok I can see if it was a little off but over 50 points difference...Really makes me think that the scoring system that Walmart is using is not a true FICO score.

Has anyone else see such a difference in their True FICO and the Walmart's website TU scores?

Thanks! 

IMO, I would be questioning what the dealer pulled then what Walmert produces because that score is coming straight from FICO.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

You're going to take the car dealers word for it?

I've seen many, many, many car dealers "mis inform" buyers about their credit score...it helps pad the interest rate on your new loan.

I'll take the Walmart TU08 score over anything a car dealer offers.

BIG +1!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 19
vollybal
Regular Contributor

I actually went to 2 dealers and they both pulled the same number and showed it to me... I even asked if it was a true FICO and they told me this is the number we get straight from TU. Sure Enough just now I bought the MyFICO TU and it is 585!?!?! Man These two scores are so far off!! Plus what makes this worse is that We jsut moved from NC where they like EQ and I know that score is nice but now we live in chicagoland area and they are all telling me that they like TU...Well it is a never stopping process...I do know why my TU is lower than my other two bereaus as the TU was told to remove a paid collection from the collection place and they removed it from the EQ and EX but not on TU...I even called TU and they told me they would look into it and they came back saying that it is correct!!! I waited the time and I am now disputing it again and I guess we will see what happens...Really hoping they remove it this time!

Thanks!!!

Message 7 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@vollybal wrote:

I actually went to 2 dealers and they both pulled the same number and showed it to me... I even asked if it was a true FICO and they told me this is the number we get straight from TU. Sure Enough just now I bought the MyFICO TU and it is 585!?!?! Man These two scores are so far off!! Plus what makes this worse is that We jsut moved from NC where they like EQ and I know that score is nice but now we live in chicagoland area and they are all telling me that they like TU...Well it is a never stopping process...I do know why my TU is lower than my other two bereaus as the TU was told to remove a paid collection from the collection place and they removed it from the EQ and EX but not on TU...I even called TU and they told me they would look into it and they came back saying that it is correct!!! I waited the time and I am now disputing it again and I guess we will see what happens...Really hoping they remove it this time!

Thanks!!!

myFICO TU is TU98 FICO. Walmart's TU FICO is TU08. The big difference between the 2 scores is how your overall utilization is factored. TU08 heavily favors less usage.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is why it is always better to secure your own car loan prior to going to the dealership.  

The dealership will hammer you with the interest rate.

I hope your interest rate isn't too bad.

Message 9 of 19
FrugalRican
Blogger

Is getting a loan with that score actually going to still save you money if you switch to the SUV? (I remember your previous post as well).

I just hope you don't get nailed with a 20% APR and then actually end up spending more than what you are already spending when the whole point was to save.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.