Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart FICO vs. Transunion FICO Interesting

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Walmart FICO vs. Transunion FICO Interesting

@Anonymous wrote:

That is why it is always better to secure your own car loan prior to going to the dealership.  

The dealership will hammer you with the interest rate.

I hope your interest rate isn't too bad.

+1 are you a member of a credit union? if so apply there first BEFORE going car shopping

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I won't be purchasing a new vehicle until next year, but when I do I will be using the USAA car buying service.  Plus they have very good rates on their car loans.

Message 12 of 19
vollybal
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I saved a Ton of money in interest as I talked to the dealer and the apr on the previous car was @18%. I looked at the paperwork and I saw 13% and then I told the finanace guy who they were using and he told me Cap One. I then told him that I think I will secure my own loan and told them I will call them if I want the SUV...I walked out and went to lunch...during lunch the sales person called me telling me that we need to work out a deal and if I can come back in, they will work with me on it...I told him unless they can tell me a solid APR number I am not interested in their vehicle...That is why I went to two dealers...they both had the same SUV and I was going to head back over to them to see what they had to offer as I wanted to deal with the first dealer as I like them just think it was high....So as I was ready to leave from lunch, the sales manager called me and told me he had great news. I called him back as it was a VM and he told me that he called in a huge favor(YEAH RIGHT) and that now the APR is at 8.99% and the monthly payments would drop over $100/month...He did say that I would have to up my downpayment to $1000. I told him that I will be in shortly but I wanted to see the numbers and who was fincancing it. I got in there and the sales mgr came over and introduced himself to me and had numbers and papers in hand to show me. Sort of impressed...Wondering at this point if they have had a bad month or what. I looked it over and they messed with the numbers on the trade and the SUV price but it came out the same as before....He then told me that the finance mgr is good friends with Wells Fargo and used a favor(again I am sure it is BS) and that they would do it with a $1000 down...I am thinking that they were padding the interest a bit to lower it that much. I also was told that the major problem with the apr/approval process was that I have a auto repo from 2005 still on there and that was the major obstacle. Ok well it will fall off in Oct. So maybe I needed to wait but wanted to get this done...Well, I did take that deal. Funny thing was that Wells farge called for the welcome call this morning and they asked a few things and told me thanxs for the business and then FICO alert came in and on my EQ, NOT my TU, I see Wells Fargo checking my credit...So looks like they used my EQ after all.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called him back as it was a VM and he told me that he called in a huge favor(YEAH RIGHT)

I'm shocked that you didn't believe him!  After all, he's just trying to be a friend. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I really would have waited for that 2005 repo to come off, you could have saved a lot in interest!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 19
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Also you have to remember that there is an auto-enhanced FICO score that isnt available for purchase.  My auto enhanced score was 660 when it was pulled last month, walmart TU08 Fico is 615 and I havent checked my recent FICO here but three months ago it was 662 im guessing it is lower since I dropped my AAoA by adding a few new accts.

Message 16 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind there are like 30+ variations on FICO score. There is no such thing as "true" FICO score per say. Dealership is definitely using a scoring model that emphasize loan histories more than credit card histories.

Also it is 99% better to secure a loan from bank/credit union prior car shopping rather than getting a loan from dealership.

Message 17 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

It's likely an auto-enhanced version of FICO that you got from both auto dealerships. My Walmart FICO matched exactly with the FICO that my CU pulled for my CLI. Most car salesmen aren't going to be knowledgable enough about the different versions of FICO and what they mean, or what they emphasize in their scoring model.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 18 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Keep in mind there are like 30+ variations on FICO score. There is no such thing as "true" FICO score per say. Dealership is definitely using a scoring model that emphasize loan histories more than credit card histories.

Also it is 99% better to secure a loan from bank/credit union prior car shopping rather than getting a loan from dealership.

+1

That will be my next course of action when I get another vehicle!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.