Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Gave Me 2 Cards...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart Gave Me 2 Cards...

I apped for the Walmart card a few weeks back solely for the TU FICO score. I got instant approval, and patiently waited for my card so I could register online. A week goes by and I get a notice from the fraud department requesting that I call in and verify some info. So I do, and she tells me the card will be sent out in 7-10 days. Well, the card came today so I register online and it asks me which account I want to manage. It then shows me two Walmart cards with identical limits. Not sure what happened here but I enrolled in paperless statements today to get my FICO, and I think I will wait another two weeks before enrolling the other card. This way I can get updates every two weeks. I also checked my USAA CMS and sure enough, two separate lines of credit with identical limits are reporting. I think right now the TU FICO is worth the extra hit in AAoA. Scratching my head about what to do. I guess we'll see of they send me a second card as well.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Gave Me 2 Cards...

I don't have a Walmart yet, but from what I read everybody gets the update on the same day. You won't be two weeks apart by having two accounts. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I signed up today it says "As of March 22nd..." so maybe it's just the initial update. In that case, I'll wait two weeks until my collection dispute is resolved (should get deleted, no way they can verify). Then I'll register and hopefully get a fresh score, and then combine the cards.

Message 3 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Updates usually come around the 10th of every month.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 17
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

If Walmart did give you two cards, you will still get only one FICO. Everyone's FICO posts online at the same time every month. You can't get a second one 2 weeks later. Also, with 2 new CCs, your AAOA is going to take a bigger hit, I'd call GE and find out what's going on and be sure you only have one acct open and reporting. Even a second acct closed is going to hit your AAOA.
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 17
namvet
Established Contributor

I also got 2 cards when i opened a walmart account.  Same account numbers on both cards.  It appears the other card was just a extra card on the same account.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@namvet wrote:

I also got 2 cards when i opened a walmart account.  Same account numbers on both cards.  It appears the other card was just a extra card on the same account.

No, I have two different account numbers with two different TLs reporting.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. I got the second card with a different account number that matched the second TL reporting on my CR. I call in and they tell me they can't merge the credit lines but they can cancel one. I asked to speak with a supervisor. He was much more helpful and saw that there were two duplicate applications and only one hard INQ (the dead giveaway that they screwed up and I did not double app). But he said they couldn't merge the CLs because I was only approved for the original amount and that because it's a duplicate application in their system, he would be required to close one of the accounts.

So, my AAoA will get a small boost but my available credit will go down.

Message 8 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ctb At least they squared it away for you! Now your AAoA wont be unnessesarily dinged!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 17
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. I got the second card with a different account number that matched the second TL reporting on my CR. I call in and they tell me they can't merge the credit lines but they can cancel one. I asked to speak with a supervisor. He was much more helpful and saw that there were two duplicate applications and only one hard INQ (the dead giveaway that they screwed up and I did not double app). But he said they couldn't merge the CLs because I was only approved for the original amount and that because it's a duplicate application in their system, he would be required to close one of the accounts.

So, my AAoA will get a small boost but my available credit will go down.

Closing an acct doesn't mean that it's not going to report to your CR. It could be reported as opened and closed, and will remain on your CR for 10 years. In which case, your AAoA will take a hit. You should ask them to remove the second TL from your CR entirely, since it was *their* error. That way your AAoA won't be dinged.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.