cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Neighborhood - Count as Groceries?

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Walmart Neighborhood - Count as Groceries?

Hello myFICO members and guests. I have a question with regards to how Walmart Neighborhood (the stand-alone grocery store version of Walmart) codes with regards to category spend. I have Amex BCE and Chase Freedom (currently in grocery category). Does anyone know?

Thanks

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Neighborhood - Count as Groceries?

Anybody? Smiley Sad

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check your AMEX membership rewards Pending points...?

Message 3 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@SecretAzure wrote:

Hello myFICO members and guests. I have a question with regards to how Walmart Neighborhood (the stand-alone grocery store version of Walmart) codes with regards to category spend. I have Amex BCE and Chase Freedom (currently in grocery category). Does anyone know?

Thanks

YMMV, depending on the location.  IMHO, you'd probably have better luck having it count as "Groceries" on your Freedom than your BCE, since Visa/MC and AMEX code Walmart differently.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 8
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

It used to code as grocery on my late Sallie Mae (mastercard) (may she rest in peace), but the ones I've been to haven't coded as grocery on my BCE.  I would guess it would code as grocery with Discover or Freeomd, but I have never tried it.

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

In the Freedom T&C for this quarters categories it explicitly excludes Walmart & Target I dont think a stand alone WM grocery store will qualify with the Freedom.

Message 6 of 8
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Thanks

It depends more on the network (Visa, MC, AMEX) and the store for how it will code.  For a newer Walmart that was built including a grocery or the standalone grocery Neighborhood Walmart your odds are pretty good.  The only way to be sure would be to go make a small purchase and see how it codes after it finalizes.

Walmarts always have a store #, often part of the name/signage on the face of the building (not the address, it's part of the store name).  Find yours and ask someone who has purchased there what it codes as for XYZ network. 

Message 7 of 8
steel_string
Regular Contributor

Most Wal-Mart SuperCenters count as grocery on Visa and MC. I was always able to tell which was which by finding them on the store finder map in the Wal-Mart app. They were described differently, even if they were both WM SCs. They're all counted as discount stores on AmEx.

Wal-Mart Neighborhood Groceries are different, though. I don't have any of them near me. Based on a post I saw on another forum a few days ago, they count as grocery on both networks and count as category spend on BCE/BCP. They're still excluded by Chase.

Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.