Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Question

tag
MJVBAK
Regular Contributor

Walmart Question

I applied to Walmart, just to see if I could get the Discover. I declined due to not having a home land line in my name.

I offered to fax my DL to them, they said no. The 2 people that I spoke with sounded like they really had no idea how to solve this simple* issue.

Is there any other things that I can do to get them to verify my identity? It sounds like I'm approved, but its this one thing holding me back...

*I think it would be simple, LOL
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Walmart Question

@MJVBAK wrote:
I applied to Walmart, just to see if I could get the Discover. I declined due to not having a home land line in my name.

I offered to fax my DL to them, they said no. The 2 people that I spoke with sounded like they really had no idea how to solve this simple* issue.

Is there any other things that I can do to get them to verify my identity? It sounds like I'm approved, but its this one thing holding me back...

*I think it would be simple, LOL

I had the same problem with them and spoke to a very knowledgeable rep at their credit office. She told me that they absolutely wouldn't approve without a way to verify telephone linked to the applicant. I have Verizon wireless and they don't register their cell numbers so I was out of luck. Presuming you have cell service only, you might try calling your cell service provider to see if they can register your number in your name.

Good luck - this was a really frustrating one for me too!

Starting Score: EQ 622, TU 676, EX 643 (mtg lender pulls) 2/1/12
Current Score: EQ 743, TU 775 (6/18 MyFico), EX 722 (per CITI approval letter 6/29/12 pull)
Goal Score: New goal: 760+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

--------------------------------

My daughter just got a walmart/discover and she has never had a land line. Did you apply online or in person? She applied while shopping. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Message 3 of 10
MJVBAK
Regular Contributor

I applied online. No go if you do not have a landline in your name.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a Walmart Card with my only phone being a cell phone.

I have only had a cell phone for over 10 years now.

Same number for only the last 3 years.

Applied online and entered it as my home and any others that were asked.
Message 5 of 10
creditdream
Frequent Contributor

Last 3 months i applied at their store,and i provide my cell number as my home number where i have a service with AT&T,and it went thro & i was approved for $500 cl .
Good luck to you .
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used my cell phone for Walmart app. and was approved.
Don't know why they wouldn't accept cell# since most people carry cellphones with them wherever they go, land lines are not portable, even cordless phones have limits....Man Very Happy

Message 7 of 10
ShinyGirl
New Contributor

I think the problem is that some cell companies do not link the customer's name with the number.

When I call anywhere, my NAME shows up with my number ID... ATT is my cell provider.

Though I have a land line, I prefer to have all my business calls routed to my cell and my cell is my primary number for EVERYTHING.

Some cell companies do NOT have the subscriber's number linked to the cell number, therefore, they can't give the impression that it's a landline...as with ATT.
I think Verizon is one of the companies which does not link the name with the number.

CCC just want a way to "reliably" find you if you default, I guess. Though there is the mail, they still rely on that old phone.
"...what good do your words do if they can't understand you??...."
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is where having your phone number listed on your credit report is helpful. I've had no problems with the phone verification thing since I added my cell number to my credit reports. I don't have any active collections out there though. I can understand why many here would not want to do that.
Message 9 of 10
MJVBAK
Regular Contributor

I did not even know that you could list a phone # on a Credit Report. I called Walmart and they said that I could not be approved because I do not have a land line that they can verify. The rep also said that cell phones are a 50/50 chance. I have At&t but the bill only has part of my last name.

Ah well, I'll wait 6 months and apply in store

Message Edited by MJVBAK on 04-21-2008 10:38 AM
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.