Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Store to Discover on login. [UPDATE]

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Walmart Store to Discover on login. [UPDATE]

I just logged on to check for the Walmart FICO's I noticed were up, and the CONGRATS screen came up.  I really hate the idea of losing the time history of my Store card.  Anyone ever have any luck keeping their original history\ open date?

[UPDATE]:

Well I decided to accept the offer.  Hope it wasn't a mistake...  My CL on the store card was 2300,  the new Walmart Discover.. CL of 2000....   Smiley Frustrated

I'm not sure how to look at that,  I feel like I got upgraded and AA'd at the same time Smiley Indifferent

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Re: Walmart Store to Discover on login.

No, and I will tell you that I took a hit for new card and lost around 10 points in the FICOs from that "upgrade". BUT I'm still glad I did it, my limit went from $1600 to $3500 at my 4 months CLI. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 2 of 13
journey258
Frequent Contributor

How much time passed before your store cards were upgraded to the Discover?

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 3 of 13
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

2 years for me. But I don't think that's the case anymore. They just started upgrading people a lot more around the end of last year and seem to still be doing it. Seems mainly people around 700 ficos and over 1,000 on the store cards. Just seems to be the case for most.

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 4 of 13
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Interesting. Thanks!

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 5 of 13
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Got my store card Feb 2009, just got a CLI to 2300 last month (+800).   FICO TU was hovering around the 700 area.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 13
baktabiznis
Established Member

I thought the Walmart credit card was a TU pull only ? They pulled my experian. Seems everyone pulls experian nowadays.
Message 7 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@baktabiznis wrote:
I thought the Walmart credit card was a TU pull only ? They pulled my experian. Seems everyone pulls experian nowadays.

Nah, they pull from all three and have for more than a year.  Experian seems to be the lowest of the three according to various databases: TU > EQ > EX for pull frequency.

Could be worse, I have lived in Cali for the last 7 years, virtually EVERYONE pulls EX for me unless I specifically go out of my way for a lender which doesn't.

        
Message 8 of 13
lithium78
Established Contributor

The upgrade from Walmart store card to Walmart Discover requires a new TL, but it's still worth it.  You can use the card anywhere instead of just at Walmart, which makes it easier to keep active.  You get a small amount of cashback when you use it (0.25%, not much but it's better than nothing.)  Also, the CLs have the potential to grow much, much bigger than you can ever get with the store card.  And you still get the special 0% financing options and the free TU score every month.  For me, it was worth taking the hit on my AAoA.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Thanks Lithium78 (and everyone that responded of course);

All good points!  You know I've searched the forum for info about the upgrade, I'm not the first person to ask the question LOL or be hesitant Smiley Very Happy

I have to admit I'd feel a bit better about taking the offer if my AMEX Blue was already reporting and wasn't barely a month old (although backdated).  I'd like to think AMEX wouldn't AA me for a PC that resulted in a new account showing.

I did run the AAoA info on the spreadsheet and found I'd lose 2 months at most (it seems) if I take it.  So at least that isn't much of a concern now.  Of course we know it's AMEX magic that's helping with that worry, along with 17 TLs showing.  Part of why  I'm concerned AMEX could flake and yank the rug, so to speak.

I've read a lot of people taking the offer have often gotten a CLI with it.  I doubt I'd get much of a CLI with the upgrade being they just gave me 800 on it recently.

And of course I've got my eye on AMEX's Costco TE card in the future,  they're talking about adding a Costco in an area I frequent. That would add another 23 years if it was backdated at that point, IF of course AMEX doesn't "flake out" on me Smiley Very Happy

I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna take the upgrade and maybe just deal with the nail biting Smiley LOL

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.