Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Upgrade

tag
FICOMari
Regular Contributor

Walmart Upgrade

Did anyone else get a postcard in the mail for an opportunity to upgrade from a regular Walmart store card to a Walmart Discover card?  I called the toll free number and spoke to the customer service rep and he said "Yep, I see it right here, you can upgrade to a Walmart Discover card with a credit line of $3000.00".  It was so simple, no credit check, no questions asked so I accepted.  My original credit line was $800.  Will this help my credit score? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Upgrade

Congratulations!

This could help your credit score if you carry balances on your credit cards because having higher credit limits will decrease your utilization percentage.

Message 2 of 14
FICOMari
Regular Contributor

Thank you Lynette!!! 

The represenative on the phone told me it will replace my old store credit card but to consider it as a "merge" since I will still keep my original opened date (which was a year ago).  I hope this is true! Not that an account that is a year old does much to your credit score anyway, or does it?

Message 3 of 14
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

FICOMari, congrats on the upgrade!  I called about a year ago to see if I could upgrade my Walmart card and the rep told me that they didn't upgrade and I would have to apply.  I haven't used the card in 3 months now but I will take it out of the drawer and buy something with it.  Your post has given me hope that they may one day upgrade my card especially if they let you keep the opening date of the store card. 
Message 4 of 14
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

You will get a bump.  With a limit nearly 4x the original & going from a store card to what is considered to be a prime card, if I'm not mistaken, and keeping the age....Christmas is coming early for you!

Congrats.  If you happen to talk with them again...ask what is your rate.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 14
Paxx
Contributor

Congrats!

How long have you had this card?  I have a wal-mart store card that I use about 4 times a month just for gas and always PIF. I don't have a rewards card so I save 3 cents a gallon when I use this card.    I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary but have not recieved anything from them.

thanks!

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey FICOMari,

what is the number that you called? Can you give it to me so i can do the same...Thanks in advance

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heck.  I was just getting ready to close my $500 CL Walmart card.  Now I'm going to have to keep it open and see if it will behave as well as yours!

Congrats! 

Message 8 of 14
FICOMari
Regular Contributor

Hello!  I originally opened my account in December of 2008 so it hasn't been a year yet.  I don't think I ever charged more than $100 on the card a month and thanks to the great advice on this forum, I always PIF. 

The number on the postcard I got is: 1-866-611-1148 but it seems this is a regular customer service line (although different from what is on the back of my card) because it was automated and gave me my balance information. I chose the option to speak to a customer service representative and told him about the postcard I got in the mail.  He said the information was on his computer screen and he quickly upgraded me.  Hope it works for you! Good luck!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't the Walmart Discover issued by the same CCC (GEMB)?  If so, then this is not a prime card, in fact it will not change how the CR reads, except the account number will change and the CL will change.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.