Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart & Sams

tag
HYPASS33
Frequent Contributor

Walmart & Sams

Are these the same cards and is it better to apply in store or online? Also what kind of score should I look to have to have a chance of approval?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart & Sams

Not the same card though you can use them at either store, but you can only get cashback from the store the card is from, so you can only get cash back at Walmart with the Walmart card, and only get cash back at Sam's Club with the Sam's club card.

Only the Walmart card comes with free TU fico once a month. Both will grow with you even if you start out small it will grow.

I think they give out cards with about a 650 or higher, possibly lower with a good relationship with GE money bank and/or high income. If you fico is above 720 they may offer you the discover version. Upgrades of the Walmart store card to Discover card usually takes a year or two.  And are GE initiated no way to request as a customer.

You may find an instore offer of $20 or more cash back with your approval for the card and you spend $100, getting such deals when you apply online is more difficult.
So in store is usually best, a pre-approved offer may pop-up when you are checking out at Sam's club.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 12
JonStur
Established Contributor

I started out with the Walmart store version and it upgraded to a Discover in a little over a year. I like the free TU score and they give 1% back on purchases which isn't much but it's something. Once you are upgraded to the Discover then go to SAMs and apply for their discover because there's a 99% chance you'll be approved, ( unless something crazy happens in your credit profile), and they will give you a generous limit to boot...that's what I did...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 3 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

AFAIK if you are willing to take a HP if you have the store card they can look into an upgrade on a HP.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 12
HYPASS33
Frequent Contributor

On the Walmart card, better to apply in store or online or does it really matter?
Message 5 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

IMO It doesn't matter ive seen it go good either way.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 12
HYPASS33
Frequent Contributor

Did you have a high score when you applied? Just not sure how much I trust the TU credit score of 764 it gave me.
Message 7 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@HYPASS33 wrote:
Did you have a high score when you applied? Just not sure how much I trust the TU credit score of 764 it gave me.

Mine was around 700 when I got the Sams Discover $2500 CL

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 12
carlismycat
New Contributor

I got the in store offer for 20.00 credit off my first 100. purchase. But I didnt get the credt. I waited for a few months thinking it would take a while. When I called the number on the back of my card and explained the situation they were nice enough to credit my account the 20.00 .

Also as a side note/fyi I accidentally missed a payment by one day,so when I called to ask if it would hurt my account at all (it didnt) the person actually took off the late fee without me even asking. Since I just pif that day it resulted in a negative balance lol . So when I go on my manills APP ,or sign into my account online is has a negative number.
Trying to garden again: Myfico Experian: 621, Myfico Equifax : 613, MyFico transunion: 639
Goal : 780

Message 9 of 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

The Sams version usually gets a higher CL but the Walmart version gets you the free FICO.  Get the Walmart version.  The CL will climb very fast being a GE card.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.