Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart apply in store or online

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Walmart apply in store or online

@oracles wrote:
I am pretty much not to concern with getting approved. I have 720-740 fico scores. I have a clean record and AAoA is 7 years. My only red mark on my credit report is high utilization at 45%. From what I gather, I will be able to be approved for a store card and maybe even the discover. I really just want the card for the fico score, but if I am going to apply, might as well see if I can get the highest limit possible. Therefore that is why I am asking is it better to apply in store or it doesn't matter concerning the limit.

If it's close by, go in store!

I did it online and did not have issues this time but like I think I have said before GE will pull up a multiple choice of 4 questions to verify your identity... In my experience the first 2 usually didn't apply to me and the last 2 did, however it's a lot of car loan, mortgage loan, possible city or phone number from way back when!

If you have any doubt on cars, exact payments, etc. go in store... being in store I think would by-pass the security questions.

My friend applied online and failed the security, I got him a number and within 5 minutes he was on phone with manager willing to do another verification question thing and 1 question, you owned a white bronco something rather, basically it was like 10 years, and it was his fathers... but he lived at home with his family, he answered that it's not mine it's my fathers... FAIL! the system matched that suv to him for whatever reason!

Message 11 of 21
RyVision
Valued Contributor

CA;

That sounds like what I went through with NFCU for membership and then the card.  Only they included something like "In what age range would stated distant relative be today? 23 to 25, 26 to 27 or 27 to 28?"  And other questions along that line, about 4 or them, and that was one of the easier ones. And there was a time limit to answer the CSR didn't know about.  IIRC I I found out about the time limit because it ran out and I had to call back and do different ones all over again (at least they allowed that).

I was about ready to hang up and go the the nearest branch 4 hours or so away LOL.

Unless someone is willing to risk an INQ for nothing because of an ID verification problem, I would always say, just apply at the store\bank if possible.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 12 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

CA;

That sounds like what I went through with NFCU for membership and then the card.  Only they included something like "In what age range would stated distant relative be today? 23 to 25, 26 to 27 or 27 to 28?"  And other questions along that line, about 4 or them, and that was one of the easier ones. And there was a time limit to answer the CSR didn't know about.  IIRC I I found out about the time limit because it ran out and I had to call back and do different ones all over again (at least they allowed that).

I was about ready to hang up and go the the nearest branch 4 hours or so away LOL.

Unless someone is willing to risk an INQ for nothing because of an ID verification problem, I would always say, just apply at the store\bank if possible.

Ah the reminded me back in 2001!!! I lived in California (moved many times!) but anyway it was funny my roommate had the same last name as me and family was from same area as my family but we had no family ties!  Fast forward 10 years and 2 questions on a credit app verification were directly related to him, I believe it was what was his birthday and what street he lived on.  Clearly I failed and had to call in and she saw right away that was exactly what I got wrong!

It was interesting though that such info would be pulled up as somethign valid to me!

Message 13 of 21
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Yes the questions get tricky for me also! My grandfather,father and brother having the same name. Sometime the answer can got for any of them.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 21
MetalguitarJames
Valued Member

I app'd in store when purchasing a laptop last night. Surprisingly I was approved. I had quite a few inquries out for purchasing a car recently and a couple from credit cards months ago and received an $800 limit. Good enough for me lol.

Message 15 of 21
oracles
Valued Contributor

Does anyone else know if it makes a difference as regards to a higher credit limit when applying in the store vs applying online?

Message 16 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@oracles wrote:

Does anyone else know if it makes a difference as regards to a higher credit limit when applying in the store vs applying online?

If its close by go apply in store, it bypasses security questions online and it can only help!

Message 17 of 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Not that I'm aware of...the same bank (GE) is going to approve or decline you AND set your credit limit...

Besides, if you don't NEED the card (or a certain CL), then just apply online...get whatever CL you get, and garden...I've been told they're pretty generous with increases down the road...

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 18 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

@oracles wrote:

Unless it is a hassle would apply in store, there is at least a chance of a higher initial CL IMO but either way both Walmart store card and the Discover routinely approve circa 400-2k to start FWIU.

As PP the surest way to get a nice CL is over time through CLI...I started around 2k- reached 5k less than a year later.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 19 of 21
pakman92
Established Contributor

One thing that you can be sure of is that applying online will result in a pull from TU only.  I don't know if applying in store may mean that all three CR will be pulled.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.