Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart card for the Fico only?

tag
notyou
Valued Member

Walmart card for the Fico only?

I'm considering this... but I'm not sure. I'd love to get my FICO for free from TU, but I need another card like I need a damn hole in the head, not to mention I don't need another inq! (I just had two because I app'd with NFCU for their visa and a loc both approved btw)...

Is there a better option? I use credit karma as well and my UTI went down 8% since the last time I pulled my TU a couple of days ago. My 0 balances FINALLY reported... so I want to see what my TU score is, but don't want to pay  about $20. I've spent about $60 on scores in the past 30 days. (yes, I have a problem!)

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
notyou
Valued Member

Re: Walmart card for the Fico only?

I also wonder if now would be a good time to go ahead and get the card. (don't need or particularly want it. I don't shop at walmart) since I have the two new dings. I'm going to garden for a while so I can app for a auto loan and a chase freedom card...

Do you happened to get fico's for a SAMs card? I have one of those.

Message 2 of 23
notyou
Valued Member

and now I'm posting so I can subscribe... lol I forgot to when I posted before.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

The score I get from Walmart is very different from the scores I get from FICO...much lower. 

Message 4 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Don't forget that although the WalMart TU score is a FICO score, it's (we think) a FICO 08 score, so it's still not the score that mortgage lenders use. (I think that was the final verdict; I lost track there after a while.) If it's OK with you that it's an 08, then that's fine, but it's hard to compare it to other scores.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 23
notyou
Valued Member

What do most lenders use?

Maybe I should just stick with credit karma. I know it's a FAKO but it's within a couple points of the scores I pull here.

Message 6 of 23
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@notyou wrote:

I'm considering this... but I'm not sure. I'd love to get my FICO for free from TU, but I need another card like I need a damn hole in the head, not to mention I don't need another inq! (I just had two because I app'd with NFCU for their visa and a loc both approved btw)...

Is there a better option? I use credit karma as well and my UTI went down 8% since the last time I pulled my TU a couple of days ago. My 0 balances FINALLY reported... so I want to see what my TU score is, but don't want to pay  about $20. I've spent about $60 on scores in the past 30 days. (yes, I have a problem!)

seems like a good investment,  no cost other than the INQ and a small hit for a new tradeline,  use the card nicely and they give you auto CLI's fairly freqently.. got mine in november started with 900, this week raised to $1000,  quick cash at walmarts come in handy and you can use it at sam's club and walmart.com as well

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 23
notyou
Valued Member

I already have a SAM's club card, and honestly I wouldn't use the walmart card at all. I can't even rememebr the last time I was at a walmart! lol

Message 8 of 23
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@notyou wrote:

#1, GE usually pulls TU and NFCU pulled EQ on my CR. So, the inq may not affect the same CR, if that matters.

#2, I got the WM CC in Nov and they auto-CLId me last month from $300 to $1k. So, it can help your util.

#3, I don't know if I'd get the card if you're never going to shop there (you can shop online if you want, though).

#4, Keep in mind the score is only updated once a  month, so you can't update it whenever you want.

#5, My WM TU was exactly the same as the TU that my CU pulled for my CLI. IMO, I'm not really concerned about the different versions. It's a true FICO as opposed to a useless FAKO. So, for me that's what counts. And I figure eventually, CCs and banks will upgrade to the more recent version that WM provides.

#6, You can get your TU quarterly here for $5 a month, as an alternative.

#7, I did get it 99% for the FICO and have actually found myself using the card there just to keep some activity on it (always PIF). So, having the card has actually brought them some business.

All in all, I am really glad I got the card, even though I didn't think I'd really use it. And I love getting my TU FICO each month for free.

Just some thoughts. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 23
notyou
Valued Member

Thanks Bichonmom. NFCU pulled my TU. I got an alert from credit karma and havne't gotten one yet from score watch, so I am not sure if they pulled my EQ or not.

Decisions, decisions! lol

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.