Did you mean: 

Walmart card for the Fico only?

tag
gardini51
Valued Member

Re: Walmart card for the Fico only?

@notyou wrote:

What do most lenders use?

Maybe I should just stick with credit karma. I know it's a FAKO but it's within a couple points of the scores I pull here.

I just applied for a mortgage and my lender pulled a TU 04 score. It was about 30 points lower than the TU score that I get with my Walmart card.

Message 11 of 23
notyou
Valued Member

Thanks for all the info... I think I'll just stick with credit karma for now and pay full price when I need to. I really have no "need" right now other than curiosity!

Message 12 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The score I get from Walmart is very different from the scores I get from FICO...much lower. 

The score you get from Walmart is a TU08 FICO (which factors overall utilization heavier). The FICO you get here is TU98 which is an older version.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@notyou wrote:

I'm considering this... but I'm not sure. I'd love to get my FICO for free from TU, but I need another card like I need a damn hole in the head, not to mention I don't need another inq! (I just had two because I app'd with NFCU for their visa and a loc both approved btw)...

Is there a better option? I use credit karma as well and my UTI went down 8% since the last time I pulled my TU a couple of days ago. My 0 balances FINALLY reported... so I want to see what my TU score is, but don't want to pay  about $20. I've spent about $60 on scores in the past 30 days. (yes, I have a problem!)

#1, GE usually pulls TU and NFCU pulled EQ on my CR. So, the inq may not affect the same CR, if that matters.

#2, I got the WM CC in Nov and they auto-CLId me last month from $300 to $1k. So, it can help your util.

#3, I don't know if I'd get the card if you're never going to shop there (you can shop online if you want, though).

#4, Keep in mind the score is only updated once a  month, so you can't update it whenever you want.

#5, My WM TU was exactly the same as the TU that my CU pulled for my CLI. IMO, I'm not really concerned about the different versions. It's a true FICO as opposed to a useless FAKO. So, for me that's what counts. And I figure eventually, CCs and banks will upgrade to the more recent version that WM provides.

#6, You can get your TU quarterly here for $5 a month, as an alternative.

#7, I did get it 99% for the FICO and have actually found myself using the card there just to keep some activity on it (always PIF). So, having the card has actually brought them some business.

All in all, I am really glad I got the card, even though I didn't think I'd really use it. And I love getting my TU FICO each month for free.

Just some thoughts. Smiley Happy

+1

to add:

8) You can get cash advances off of this card and it acts as a purchase. No interest if you pay by grace period.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 23
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

I was approved yesterday and I'm SO happy I got this card.  This is probably my favorite card next to my Amazon Credit. 

WM: Glad for the automotive area for my oil changes plus you also get the discount on gas!  And I see that if you spend certain amounts like ie 100 at one time at a register you get like $20 cash back to your card.  Not a bad deal at all!   This is going to be my favorite card - not to mention we already buy our groceries there so i'm really going to get the cash back deals Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 23
boomhower
Valued Contributor

The TU08 is going to be a more accurate FICO than the TU98 from there.  There were a ton of differences between TU98 and the most common TU04.  TU08 is certainly different but much more inline with TU04 than TU98 is.  Just because your TU98 score is higher than TU08 doesn't mean it's more accurate or better.  Fact of the matter is it really doesn't matter.  Since you don't know which of the three versions any lender is going to use it's a moot point.  Beyond that TU is by far the least commonly used CRA making it even less important.  The most popular lender that pulls TU doesn't use a TU FICO but there own internal score.(GEMB)  Look at it as a way to track you credit improvement for free with a true FICO formula, nothing more nothing less.  It's a free FICO that may or may not correspond with what a lender uses.

Message 16 of 23
pakman92
Established Contributor

@gardini51 wrote:

@notyou wrote:

What do most lenders use?

Maybe I should just stick with credit karma. I know it's a FAKO but it's within a couple points of the scores I pull here.

I just applied for a mortgage and my lender pulled a TU 04 score. It was about 30 points lower than the TU score that I get with my Walmart card.

I guess we know with certainty that Walmart TU score is not one of either, TU 04 or TU 04 mortgage enhanced score.  

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 17 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

The TU08 is going to be a more accurate FICO than the TU98 from there.  There were a ton of differences between TU98 and the most common TU04.  TU08 is certainly different but much more inline with TU04 than TU98 is.  Just because your TU98 score is higher than TU08 doesn't mean it's more accurate or better.  Fact of the matter is it really doesn't matter.  Since you don't know which of the three versions any lender is going to use it's a moot point.  Beyond that TU is by far the least commonly used CRA making it even less important.  The most popular lender that pulls TU doesn't use a TU FICO but there own internal score.(GEMB)  Look at it as a way to track you credit improvement for free with a true FICO formula, nothing more nothing less.  It's a free FICO that may or may not correspond with what a lender uses.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 23
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@payingoffdebt001 wrote:

I was approved yesterday and I'm SO happy I got this card.  This is probably my favorite card next to my Amazon Credit. 

WM: Glad for the automotive area for my oil changes plus you also get the discount on gas!  And I see that if you spend certain amounts like ie 100 at one time at a register you get like $20 cash back to your card.  Not a bad deal at all!   This is going to be my favorite card - not to mention we already buy our groceries there so i'm really going to get the cash back deals Smiley Wink

The $20 cash back on purchases of $100 or more is only valid on your first purchase using your new Walmart credit card on the day it's opened online or in the store.

Message 19 of 23
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

YES you are right about that. I see that now.

This is what I read and am still a lil confused what it really means since it doesnt say you must spend up to a certain amount. 

Get up to $100 quick cash in $20 increments when you make a purchase with your Walmart Discover card OR $60 quick cash in $20 increments when you make a purchase with your Walmart Credit Card at Walmart-owned registers in Walmart stores. Limit one per day. This cash advance will appear on your monthly billing statement like a purchase. Subject to credit approval.

But, I guess this could be over a years time..doesnt really say, could be longer! lol

oh well..at least I get gas discounts!!

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.