Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart payment dilemma... LOL

tag
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart payment dilemma... LOL

@TRC_WA wrote:

Ok... so I left a .01 balance on my Walmart card.  I was told I will still get a statement generated and it will still report as a $0 balance.

I just got my statement and here's the problem....

I try to pay the statement balance of $0.01 and I get the message "Please enter an amount of at least $ 1."

I try to pay an other amount of $1.00 and I get the message "The payment amount entered is larger than the current account balance. Please select or enter an amount equal to or lower than the Current Balance below."

Somehow I am not surprised...  This is the only GE card I know of that doesn't generate a statement when you have a $0 balance and from what I've seen today their payment system is just as worthless as the reps at Credit Solutions.

I guess I need to go to the local Walmart store to make my minimum payment of $0.01.

I feel your pain ! That happened to me once on my Lowe's account; I wasn't able to get the network to "pull" the payment, so I walked in one morning with a single penny. The customer service person LAUGHED because in most cases, companies "small amount writeoff" anything under a certain dollar.

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 11 of 28
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

Why leave any balance? I haven't let a balance report in three months and I still get a (online) statement.

Walmart doesn't generate a statement.

I did exactly that in Feb.. I had a $0 balance on the date my statement generated and I did not get a statement.

Looking at my statement list for 2014 it goes:

Date/Balance

June 27th, 2014 $0.01

May 29th, 2014 $287.99

April 28th, 2014 $12.50

March 28th, 2014 $9.16

January 29th, 2014 $200.00

Notice I have no Feb statement because the balance was $0.

I honestly don't care one way or another... as said it's just part of a FICO score experiment I've been doing the last few months... and this month I learned that while having a sub $1 balance will generate a statement it will also make an online payment impossible.

@SisterGirl wrote:

I feel your pain ! That happened to me once on my Lowe's account; I wasn't able to get the network to "pull" the payment, so I walked in one morning with a single penny. The customer service person LAUGHED because in most cases, companies "small amount writeoff" anything under a certain dollar.

SisterGirl

I'm going to do exactly that today.  A nice shiny penny.  Can't wait to see the reaction...

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 12 of 28
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@SisterGirl wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

Ok... so I left a .01 balance on my Walmart card.  I was told I will still get a statement generated and it will still report as a $0 balance.

I try to pay the statement balance of $0.01 and I get the message "Please enter an amount of at least $ 1."

I try to pay an other amount of $1.00 and I get the message "The payment amount entered is larger than the current account balance. Please select or enter an amount equal to or lower than the Current Balance below."

Somehow I am not surprised...  This is the only GE card I know of that doesn't generate a statement when you have a $0 balance and from what I've seen today their payment system is just as worthless as the reps at Credit Solutions.

I guess I need to go to the local Walmart store to make my minimum payment of $0.01.

SisterGirl

I just left Walmart and got the same reaction... The guy behind the counter asked me if I was serious when I gave him the penny and he said it was the smallest payment he's ever gotten.... 

Ya think?  LOL

He also asked if my balance was less than $1...so he obviously knew the system wouldn't allow an online payment.  At any rate all is well.

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 13 of 28
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@SisterGirl wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

SisterGirl

I just left Walmart and got the same reaction... The guy behind the counter asked me if I was serious when I gave him the penny and he said it was the smallest payment he's ever gotten.... 

Ya think?  LOL

He also asked if my balance was less than $1...so he obviously knew the system wouldn't allow an online payment.  At any rate all is well

Awesome ! I wish I was there to see that reaction,but.....we don't need a "missed payment or late fee" due to the ridiculousness (LOL). Stay EZ, my friend.

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 14 of 28
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Whenever a card does not allow me to pay I simply push the payment from the bill pay (bank side) and can select  whatever amount I want to pay. I do not have any GE cards but since it works with all other cards I assume it would have been possible to pay that account for 1$ as well Smiley Happy ...just not from the GE account side...lol but all this trouble for a 1cent payment...wonder if it would have generated a late payment if you had not done anything ???

Message 15 of 28
adavis425
Established Contributor

Just double checked my statements. Mine do in fact report with a zero balance. I can actually go into them and see the activity. I pay before they cut and it sounds as if that's what you did. I wonder what the difference is that one does not generate for you? Online vs paper? I thought just in general if there was activity (no matter when you pay) there had to be a statement. But even in April, when I had no activity it still generated a statement. Not life-changing, just weird. Smiley Indifferent

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 16 of 28
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

Just double checked my statements. Mine do in fact report with a zero balance. I can actually go into them and see the activity. I pay before they cut and it sounds as if that's what you did. I wonder what the difference is that one does not generate for you? Online vs paper? I thought just in general if there was activity (no matter when you pay) there had to be a statement. But even in April, when I had no activity it still generated a statement. Not life-changing, just weird. Smiley Indifferent

Actually... the statement I didn't get in February I had no activity and didn't get a statement.  I only do online statements but as said, I can login and click on my statement link and the list skips February.  I didn't get a statement for that month.

You are saying in April you had no activity and still got a statement?  I can't explain it then.  The only reason that I've even cared about getting a statement was because of the constant "GE gives CLI's every 4th statement" plastered all over these forums which for whatever reason doesn't apply to me due to the fact they don't like customers who use the card for $100-$200 a month and PIF.  I've had my fill of their cookie cutter denial letters.

On top of that now that I know that leaving a sub $1 makes payments a PITA... the easiest thing to do is to just PIF before the statement cuts, not get a statement, and not have to worry about a CLI I wouldn't have gotten anyway.  Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 28
core
Valued Contributor

TRC_WA:  I just re-read all your posts and I'm still not clear on what the issue is.  You keep saying that GE does not cut a statement "if the balance is $0" but I don't think that's the case.  It's not about the balance necessarily.

I see that your Jan statement was this:

What was your activity in Feb?  If all you did was pay the $200, then of course you would not receive a statement from them.  Not because the balance was $0, but because there was no purchase activity.  That is a whole different animal.  If you had bought a loaf of bread for $1 on Feb1st, then paid $201 instead of $200, I almost guarantee you'd have gotten a Feb statement even though the balance was $0.

Message 18 of 28
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@core wrote:

TRC_WA:  I just re-read all your posts and I'm still not clear on what the issue is.  You keep saying that GE does not cut a statement "if the balance is $0" but I don't think that's the case.  It's not about the balance necessarily.

I see that your Jan statement was this:

What was your activity in Feb?  If all you did was pay the $200, then of course you would not receive a statement from them.  Not because the balance was $0, but because there was no purchase activity.  That is a whole different animal.  If you had bought a loaf of bread for $1 on Feb1st, then paid $201 instead of $200, I almost guarantee you'd have gotten a Feb statement even though the balance was $0.

I'm sure I would have...  Regarding your question, I had no activity in Feb... and didn't get a statement because my balance was $0.  I paid the $200 from the Jan statement.

This thread was about the bugged payment system that I don't need to go over again.  I just brought up the statement issue because for whatever reason it's only Walmart that does that... I've got my other GE cards such as 76 and Chevron that I've had no activity and gotten a statement.  

If you do that with Walmart you won't get a statement, despite the fact it's the same bank.  That's my issue, and it's small.  Not a big deal because I'm done trying to figure out GE and their CLI procedure.  That's the only reason I would even care about getting a statement generated... because it's plastered all over these forums that every 4th statement will get you a CLI.  

Thanks for the responses everyone.  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 28
core
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:
I had no activity in Feb... and didn't get a statement because my balance was $0.

You didn't get a statement because your balance was $0 AND you had no purchase activty.  Again, that part keeps getting left out.  I'm only beating this horse because if partial misinformation like this gets repeated enough times people start thinking they have to let balances report.   Purchase, PIF before statement, and one is golden.  I understand you know this.

I have also tried to get "two statements for the price of one" with various other cards.  Some work, some don't.  In particular Comenity/Victoria's irks me because as a man I feel a bit odd going in there.  Smiley Happy It would be nice if I only had to make one purchase every 2 months.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.