Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart statements...

tag
lownav67
Established Member

Re: Walmart statements...

By the letter of the law, the following is the FTC Rule for businesses that offer open-ended credit:

Provide a statement for each billing period in which you owe — or they owe you — more than one dollar or on which you have been charged a finance charge.

So, in that sense, Wal-Mart would be operating within the law by not generating a statement with any zero balance (if no finance charge was part of that statement).

However, the reason businesses still produce a statement if there is any activity on the account is to protect themselves against potential violations of the Fair Credit Billing Act. They need to allow the credit consumer the opportunity to take advantage of the law's consumer protections in terms of disputes. Consumers have the right to dispute charges that list the wrong date or amount, unauthorized charges, charges for goods/services not delivered as agreed, math errors, failure to post all payments and return credits, etc.

If a company did not produce a statement, and there were errors under the FCBA that the consumer was not made aware of due to a lack of statement, and therefore was not provided the information and opportunity under the law to dispute, they could open themselves up to FTC penalties and consumer lawsuits. In other words, how can you know about and dispute a billing error if you never receive a bill.

Perhaps there is something in the very small print of the card rules they make their customers electronically agree to that says by submitting your payment electronically you are agreeing that you do not dispute anything related to what you are submitting payment for, and by doing so you are waiving your rights under the FCBA in terms of any future dispute for anything related to charges covered by that payment (I don't know).

But, I have found I always get a statement from a credit card company for any activity that month (including Wal-mart), even in the instances where I choose to pay the balance to zero before the end of the billing cycle. However, if there is nothing posted/no debit or credit activity at all I do not.

Message 11 of 19
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info everyone!

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 12 of 19
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@BootStraps wrote:

I have found that paying down under a dollar will still generate a statement. Leaving a  10 cent balance will generate a statement and will report to the bureaus as a zero balance.

+1.  That's what I'm doing to generate Wally statements

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 13 of 19
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@BootStraps wrote:

I have found that paying down under a dollar will still generate a statement. Leaving a  10 cent balance will generate a statement and will report to the bureaus as a zero balance.

+1.  That's what I'm doing to generate Wally statements

That's what I'll do then to get the best of both worlds.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 14 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Walmart doesn't generate a statement if you have no usage and a $0 balance...  I learned that a few months ago.

What if you have transactions post to your account and PIF before the statement cut date?  Do you get a statement or no?

1. this has been my xperience as well.

2. yes, statement cuts if u pif b4 statement cuts (again, this has been my xperience with wally and amazon.)

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 15 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@waynes1982 wrote:

I didn't receive a statement for the end of may, and there was activity, but the balance was $0.  So I'm thinking that if the statement results in a $0 balance, then they won't produce a statement.

Quite the opposite of mine.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 16 of 19
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I just got a $500 CLI on my Wally about 2 weeks prior to my third statement.

Message 17 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@BootStraps wrote:

Bingo!! That is the trick with Walmart. As long as you leave a balance, any balance you win a statement! Smiley Very Happy

They still know how much you spent on any given months, so I dont really worry about "winning" a statement.

They still grant you auto luv, what ever the case may be....as long as you pif.

Message 18 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Walart was kind of weird i hadn't used my walmart card at all since early november. I got one auto cli and one sp cli from them without even using their card or producing an statement. Some times these ccc seem to have no rhyme or reason with how they give out cli 

+1

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.