Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart upgrade question

tag
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Walmart upgrade question

So I loged into my walmart account to make a payment. I got the Congradulations, you have been selected for the upgrade to the walmart/discover card. My question is, will this show up on my credit report as a new account & lower my AAOA? I have had my wakmart account for about 3 years.

Thanks

Justin

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Walmart upgrade question

Message 2 of 11
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@Juss11 wrote:

So I loged into my walmart account to make a payment. I got the Congradulations, you have been selected for the upgrade to the walmart/discover card. My question is, will this show up on my credit report as a new account & lower my AAOA? I have had my wakmart account for about 3 years.

Thanks

Justin

My understanding is this:

AAOA - will not affect as it will backdate to the original WalMart GE card opened date. (Good!)

Old Account - will be closed and this will appear in it's place - and your good history is still reporting.

Go for it!  I love the fact we have increased credit limits that will lower my overall UTIL as well as another card that is not obligated for use at WalMart only.

-Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 3 of 11
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the link. I seen it awile back, but could not find it. Not sure if I want to take it or not. Ive gotten 2 new CC in the last month!

Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Id take it because of the increased CL and availability of use elsewhere!

Message 5 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

Id take it because of the increased CL and availability of use elsewhere!

Why would you use it anywhere else though?  New tradeline for no real benefit assuming people have already taken the entry level rewards cards by this point which they objectively should have by the time this sort of offer is made and the store card is just fine for reaching absurd CL's on.

I'll never upgrade my own Wally store card, probably by the time it happens I won't even be at 1% default spending anymore and nobody with a newer file than I should be (*cough* Cap One Quicksilver).  Why lose 1% or more?

        
Message 6 of 11
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

I dont think I really need it. Not for a new TL to report. I have Freedom 6k, Slate 3k, Barclyas Visa 4k Barclays Mastercard 2k, Citi Simplicity 2K & Discover It 2k. My walmart card is 2k also. Lord I have too many cards. I just closed 3 cap ones & a credit one.

Message 7 of 11
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Ok so I went ahead and took the offer. It said my aproved CL was $2000 but my walmart CL it $2400. I just checked shows both cards. Will they move the CL from the walmart card to the new card to make my CL $4400 or will it get lowed to just 2k? If thats the case im not going to take it.

Message 8 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Juss11 wrote:

Ok so I went ahead and took the offer. It said my aproved CL was $2000 but my walmart CL it $2400. I just checked shows both cards. Will they move the CL from the walmart card to the new card to make my CL $4400 or will it get lowed to just 2k? If thats the case im not going to take it.

Nope you will lose CL if you activate the WM Discover. Just cut it up and toss it when it comes without activating it and it will auto cancel after 60 days.

Message 9 of 11
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I didn't get an offer to upgrade to the Walmart Discover or Sam's Club Discover I just applied and was issued both of them.  No rhyme or reason other than I love credit cards, but I have both the Walmart and Sams Club cards and the Discover version of each.  Both cards still work, so they didn't cancel my "store cards" these cards have helped by utilization.  I'm now running around 8%.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.