Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart upgrade to Discover

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Walmart upgrade to Discover

I've had my Walmart store card for nearly 2 yrs (in Nov.) While I've gotten several CLIs, it's been no dice for the Discover upgrade.

I was wondering if anyone has been upgraded to their Discover card lately. How long do you usually have the store card before being offered the upgrade?

My Old Navy was upgraded after 1 year, so I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping to get an upgrade by now. Smiley Frustrated

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
missjae
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart upgrade to Discover

IME, there is no real time frame. None of my GE cards have ever been upgraded and I've had some of them for years. A lot of people on here have been upgraded within a year, but I would say not to expect that.
Message 2 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I gotmy BR Visa and Wmt Discover upgrades after:
A. 26 months of no defaults ever
B. score was 670-680
C. Accounts were at zero balance for two- three months.
By my estimation, you should get it in January;however, ymmv.
Also, try keeping it at zero for the next few months.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 15
orl2185
Established Contributor

Had my WM CC since 09/2006, never offered an upgrade after asking them through phone, chat. Always get same BS, account not eligible and I will have to apply for DC itself. Mind you my limit is 10k. Called them recently and had them fired.

Message 4 of 15
tld409
Regular Contributor

I was told that upgrades are routinely offered after 2 years of owning store card. I have had my card for 1 year now and have a 10k limit. I recently opened a Sams Discover card with a 4.4k limit. I am thinking about closing the Walmart card sometime next year since the Sams Discover can be used at Walmart plus I can get 100.00 dollars daily at Sams up to 880.00 per month if ever needed without paying a cash advance fee. I also like the fact that I get 2% on everything with the Sams Plus Discover. It has become my staple card for most everything and since it is a GE backed card, I am expecting to get nice CLIs. Smiley WinkMost likely I will close the Walmart after I reach 10k limit with Sams!

Oops! I forgot about that free TU Fico Score with Walmart- I won't be closing that card. 

Starting Score 630 Score: Current FICO Scores: All above 725 (04/01/2015)
Sallie Mae World MC 9k; Chase Freedom 6.5k; CareCredit 13.2k; Amex BCP 21.8k;Amex PRG; BOA123 Visa Sig 20k; CapOne WMC 7.5K; CSP Visa Sig 2K; Citi Simp Visa 6.9k; CFCU Visa 17k; Discover IT 7K; JCP MC 8K; Macys Amex 7.5K/2k; PSECU Visa/PSL 20/20K; SamsClub MC 20k; Walmart 10k
Message 5 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

A few months ago, there was a wave of upgrades invites. It seemed like the invites were all over the place in account opening. I got mine after 8 mos and little to no usage. I think the phrase I used was, throwing darts at account numbers.

Totally random IMO
Message 6 of 15
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. I have $3500 CL and zero bal. I rarely use it; mostly just occasional use to keep it active, and then PIF immediately. I don't go to WM that often, so the Discover would be a lot more useful for me.

I'm at the point w/my total CL that I really don't want unused TLs using up potential CL that another CC might offer me in a CLI or new CC that I'd use. In other words, I'm concerned I'll start to be declined because my "avail credit" is more than my annual income.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 15
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

had mine for about 7 months before the upgrade, went from 1400cl to 5k on the upgrade

Message 8 of 15
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Wow my DS has had her Old Navy card since April of 2012 and is currently at a CL of $2,700 yet no upgrade which is good since she is gonna close it when she pays off her current balance. What was your CL before upgarde and what new CL did they provide you with once upgrade offer was accepted? Thanks.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 15
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Wow my DS has had her Old Navy card since April of 2012 and is currently at a CL of $2,700 yet no upgrade which is good since she is gonna close it when she pays off her current balance. What was your CL before upgarde and what new CL did they provide you with once upgrade offer was accepted? Thanks.

With my Old Navy, my CLs were: 200/600/1200/1500/ then upgrade to visa 4000

I was rebuilding at the time, and did quarterly CLIs. 1 yr after getting the store card, they upgraded to visa. I seldom use it, though, since I don't get much from the rewards.

I was hoping my WM would follow suit, but it seems that even though they're both GE cards, they don't work the same for upgrades.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.