Established Contributor
kroberts67

Walmart... what does it take?

I don't get GE at all.  I do have Old Navy (PIF) & Penneys (unused) but Walmart & Vics Secret denied me (last summer).  My score has gone up as well as my salary, a recent collection paid & deleted, UT going down.  I thought I'd try for Walmart for the benefits, I thought it wouldn't be difficult to get as I thought it was a rebuilder card.  I got the 7-10 days schpeal so I called to find out.  No dice.  Amazon yes ($600), Walmart no.  TU FICO was 651 a few days ago but has gone up a bit more, how much I won't know until I run another score next week.  

My question is more with the differences in GE approval;  I am baffled.  What is Walmart looking for?

FICO: EQ 722 | TU 723 | EX 718
SFFCU Visa $11.3k + LOC $5k, USAA Amex $6k, USAA MC $7k, Amex BCE $13.5k, Cap1 $4k, Freedom $5k, Slate $3.2k, Barclays SM $5k.

My Credit Repair Journey
Valued Contributor
dodgerslv

Re: Walmart... what does it take?

kroberts67 wrote:

I don't get GE at all.  I do have Old Navy (PIF) & Penneys (unused) but Walmart & Vics Secret denied me (last summer).  My score has gone up as well as my salary, a recent collection paid & deleted, UT going down.  I thought I'd try for Walmart for the benefits, I thought it wouldn't be difficult to get as I thought it was a rebuilder card.  I got the 7-10 days schpeal so I called to find out.  No dice.  Amazon yes ($600), Walmart no.  TU FICO was 651 a few days ago but has gone up a bit more, how much I won't know until I run another score next week.  

My question is more with the differences in GE approval;  I am baffled.  What is Walmart looking for?

Well GE can be weird at times. Something similiar happened to me also. I applied for the Walmart and Dillards and got approved instantly then a month later applied for Sams Club and no dice. I would have figured i was shoe-in with Sams since i already had been approved for the other two. I remember when i received the cards it came along with my TU Fico. When i recieved the letter from Sams, it had an internal score so who knows really how GE approval criteria is. I have seen people with lower score than you get approved instantly.

Cards: (Citi- 82.7k) (Chase- 65k)) (US Bank- 18k) (Amex- 22.5k) (Barclays-40k) (BofA- 68k) (Cap1- 9.5K) (WF- 11k) (Penfed- 22.5k) (Discover- 8k) (Sync/GE- 15.7k) (NASA- 30k) (Diners- 15k)
Fico 08 scores (8/27/14) EX: 772 TU: 767 EQ: 778 (Utilization at 8% right now).

09Lexie

Personally, GE seems to like me when I apply.  My DH, not so much.  He was approved for the Walmart and not Amazon during the same app spree. :smileyfrustrated:

Established Contributor
kroberts67

09Lexie wrote:

Personally, GE seems to like me when I apply.  My DH, not so much.  He was approved for the Walmart and not Amazon during the same app spree. :smileyfrustrated:

Opposite of me, so weird!  When I get the letter I'm calling to recon.  I've never done that before but hey.  If I don't get it I can still speak with them and find out the nitty gritty, I'll ask them what helps etc.

SFFCU Visa $11.3k + LOC $5k, USAA Amex $6k, USAA MC $7k, Amex BCE $13.5k, Cap1 $4k, Freedom $5k, Slate $3.2k, Barclays SM $5k.

My Credit Repair Journey
09Lexie

Frequent Contributor
WarJar101

1-877-294-7880, try this number.

Cap One Platinum MC $2.5k CL (08/12)
Citi Forward Student Visa Card $1.5k CL (09/12)
Express NEXT Card $0.25k CL (02/13), Jcrew CC $0.7k CL(02/13)
AMEX PRG NPSL (03/13), AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 2k (03/13)
Walmart Credit Card $1.5k (03/13)
TU: 687 FICO (3/13) | EX: 692 Lender Pull (3/13) | EQ: 678 (4/1/13)
Established Contributor
kroberts67

Thank you!  :smileyhappy:

My Credit Repair Journey
Valued Contributor
j_casteel

kroberts67 wrote:

What were the reasons for your denial? Walmart isn't considered a "rebuilding" card its just a GE store card which most of the time is easier to get approved for. Also, VS is not a GE backed card, and you can do what most do and just keep trying the shopping cart trick daily to see if you get a preapproval and then hopefully you can get the card without a HP.

| Walmart $5k | Amazon $5k | NFCU $20k | NLOC $15k | Lowes $17k | BoA $15k | Freedom $3k | IT $4.5k | CSP $5k | Marriott $5k | AMEX TE $9k | Alaska $5k |
Starting Scores: EQ:571 EX:??? TU:597
Current Scores: EQ:694 EX:714 TU:711
Goal Scores: 700
across the board
Established Contributor
kroberts67

j_casteel wrote:

kroberts67 wrote:

What were the reasons for your denial? Walmart isn't considered a "rebuilding" card its just a GE store card which most of the time is easier to get approved for. Also, VS is not a GE backed card, and you can do what most do and just keep trying the shopping cart trick daily to see if you get a preapproval and then hopefully you can get the card without a HP.

They wouldn't give me the reasions over the phone, I have to wait for the letter.  And about GE?Vics Secret, I realized that while I was sleeping.  I dreamed about GE vs Comenity.  Yes, this happened.  lol 

My Credit Repair Journey

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}