Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wamu finance charges

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wamu finance charges

I had paid off my Wamu card more than a week before the due date.  Thinking I had a zero balance, my new statement says I owe 2.60 in finance charges.  I had questioned this to Wamu.  Following is the email dialogue we went thru.  Please pardon the lengthiness:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 03/21/2008
Subject: current finance charges

I am questioning as to why there is a 2.60 finance charge on a zero balance?
----------------------------------------------
Date: 03/23/2008

Dear ****,
Thank you for your recent e mail regarding your account.

Finance charges accrue daily on revolving account balances. The finance charges that have accrued during each billing cycle post to your account on the last day of the billing cycle when your monthly statement is prepared. The balance on the statement is the balance as of the day that statement was created.  
Although you paid the balance on your statement dated 02/15/2008 in full, daily finance charges began accruing the day that statement was generated. The balance on your new statement dated 03/19/2008 includes the finance charges that have accrued each day during the previous billing period. If this amount is paid on or before the due date indicated on that statement, the account balance will be zero with no further finance charge accruals.
Sincerely,  
Customer Service Representative  
----------------------------------------------------------
Date: 03/24/2008

I paid the balance on 3/6/08. So there should not be any finance charges since this is before the due date as well as before the statement was generated. Correct?
----------------------------------------
Date: 03/25/2008

Dear ****,
Providing there is no new activity, your account balance should be zero with no further finance charge accruals when the current billing period closes.
Sincerely,  
--------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 03/25/2008

There has been no, nor any pending activity, on the account since I paid off the balance. So am I supposed to still pay the 2.60 before the due date? This does not seem right. Or will I be hit with a late charge even though the orignal balance has been paid before the previous due date and the date the new bill was generated?
------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 03/26/2008

Dear ****,
Finance charges accrue daily on revolving account balances. The finance charges that have accrued during each billing cycle post to your account on the last day of the billing cycle when your monthly statement is prepared. The balance on the statement is the balance as of the day that statement was created.
Each month that your account has a balance, you will receive a statement showing your account transactions, the total amount owing, the minimum payment due to keep your account current and the date by which we must receive the minimum payment. To avoid late fees, the minimum payment must be received on or before the due date. If we do not receive the minimum payment by the due date, a late fee may be assessed.
Sincerely,
------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I missing something here??  This still does not seem right nor fair to me and I want to understand this.  I probably shouldn't fuss over 2.60 but it's about the principle of the situation.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wamu finance charges

I am dealing with the same situation with HSBC/Orchard and my balance (finance charges) is $7.80. I'm about to cancel the account and seriously considering filing a small claims action against them as I believe what they did is nefarious. I had 3 balances and full payment was applied to all except a portion of the cash advance balance (higher rate)...go fig?!?!?!

Keep us posted, I'm interested to find out how your situation might be resolved.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

WaMu uses two-cycle billing.  That means that if you have carried a balance from a prior month and then paid it off, finance charges will still have accrued between the time the prior statement generated and the time your payment was received.  Once a new statement generates, those finance charges will be added to your account even if there was no activity.  If you pay those new finance charges in full, you will not see any further finance charges the following month.

For CCCs that use two-cycle billing, you have to PIF two months in a row in order to get the benefit of paying no interest.

Two-cycle billing is becoming less and less common, but it is perfectly legal and is also spelled out in the card's T&C.

Message 3 of 17
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Seems like some pretty bad word recognition software.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you carried a balance from one month to the next and then paid it off, you're going to have finance charges. Many credit card companies do this, Chase, BoA, Wachovia,etc.

So if you owe $100.00 on your January statement, and you pay some of it off, but still owe $25 when your statement closes in February, even if you pay that $25 off before your statement closes in March, you will still owe interest on that statement that closes in March.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

woopah wrote:
If you carried a balance from one month to the next and then paid it off, you're going to have finance charges. Many credit card companies do this, Chase, BoA, Wachovia,etc.

So if you owe $100.00 on your January statement, and you pay some of it off, but still owe $25 when your statement closes in February, even if you pay that $25 off before your statement closes in March, you will still owe interest on that statement that closes in March.

No, most of the time you won't.  In the example you gave, only if the CCC uses two-cycle billing will you owe interest on the statement that closes in March.

With single-cycle average daily balance billing, which is used by the majority of CCCs, paying the full balance reflected on the February statement before that statement's due date will leave you with no interest accrued for the March statement.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not saying all do, but there seem to be a lot of CC companies that use two cycle billing, and it sounds like Wamu is one of them.

I know for a fact that Chase, BoA, Commerce Bank, and Citi are all two-cycle billing, and three of those four are pretty big names.

Message Edited by woopah on 03-26-2008 02:37 PM
Message 7 of 17
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I know for a fact that Chase, BoA, Commerce Bank, and Citi are all two-cycle billing, and three of those four are pretty big names.

Actually, Citi, BoA and Chase use "Average Daily Balance" for their interest rate computations, at least on the cards I have looked at. Discover does use two cycle billing on the More and Open Road cards.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay.

But my point, I guess originally was that you can pay off the balances in full prior to the due date, and still have to pay interest in the next monthly cycle.

To me, what it's called doesn't matter, as I was simply trying to say that being charged interest when you've paid in full by the due date isn't unusual. I know this because I've paid in full prior to the due date on cards issued by those CC's and still had to pay finance charges in the following billing cycle.

Message Edited by woopah on 03-26-2008 05:26 PM
Message 9 of 17
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Generally, if you didn't PIF last cycle, you are going to get charged interest at the next statement, even if you PIF before the statement hits, because there was no grace period while you were carrying a balance the last time. Once you pay the new balance the second time, you'll regain your grace period for new purchases. Two cycle vs Average Daily just determines how much interest you will pay, not whether you will be charged any.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.