Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wamu ratejack: what a bummer!

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Wamu ratejack: what a bummer!

i honestly can't be mad, (it just smarts!) because you wise ones in the know here warned against high util. and since i cancelled the card (w/ a balance-risky) i keep the 7 percent rate at least.  sad part is they just doubled my cl a few months ago and a few weeks ago sent me a "valued customer" zero percent balance transfer offer, go figure.  my deceased wamu platinum was on it's way to being a nice acct. too-boo hoo! lucky for me i'm somewhat diversified.  i think it's the mixed signals that really throw me off sometimes.  what can i say, i'm generally paying down balances litigiously but the wamu card had my best rate so it was one of the last to be targeted to zero out (still, i pay 5 and 6x's the minimum, sometimes twice a month on it)- well, they got to me first in any event.  busted!  they wanted to take me from 7 to 16 percent... couldn't be surprised really though since providian/wamu apparently perfected the ratejack.  it's the first time i remember this (a ratejack) happening to me and i have to say my heart sank when i read the enclosure.  a ccc is still one of the only businesses that can legally change the price of a purchase after you buy it so i hope those bills wrending their way through congress put an end to some of this outrage.
Well, i figured that as their concellation prize i would close my checking acct. with them this week and open a totally free checking at my credit union instead under the idea that it is a safer place to do my banking anyway.  I wanted to ask ya'll if that action could have any negative fico consequences b4 i take my business elsewhere.  i just feel like if i'm too risky for them to play nice -looking at their current financial position i could come to the same conclusion and head for the hills Smiley Surprised

Message Edited by score_building on 07-29-2008 07:12 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wamu ratejack: what a bummer!

Did they state a reason?

I though WAMU killed off UD?
Message 2 of 20
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

There shouldn't be any FICO consequences from closing your checking account and opening one at your CU, unless the CU pulls a hard to open the account.

Timothy - I thought they ratejacked him for util on his WAMU card.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The UTL was implied - I wanted to see if they provided a written reason.

FretlessMayhem wrote:
There shouldn't be any FICO consequences from closing your checking account and opening one at your CU, unless the CU pulls a hard to open the account.

Timothy - I thought they ratejacked him for util on his WAMU card.

Message 4 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

they said i could write to ask, i couldn't be bothered. i have a relatively clean report w/ 650 ish scores and a mix of high util and zeroed out balances.  i have two baddies -a 60 and 90 late that are  4.5 years old on my student loan so no doubt they found their reason in there somewhere, their loss really.  Barring death, sickness, divorce, natural disaster etc. they were (and still are) going to get their money soon.  i'm fairly certain that they jacked me for high util. but they didn't specify in the form letter.

Message Edited by score_building on 07-29-2008 07:33 AM

Message Edited by score_building on 07-29-2008 07:34 AM
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that means it was NOT for AA (Adverse action) as if it were the letter would automatically be required. So your UTL was likley the cause then. 

Remember- the account even if "Closed" counts in UTL until the balance is zero.

score_building wrote:
they said i could write to ask, i couldn't be bothered. i have a relatively clean report w/ 650 ish scores and a mix of high util and zeroed out balances.  i have two baddies -a 60 and 90 late that are  4.5 years old on my student loan so no doubt they found their reason in there somewhere, their loss really.  Barring death, sickness, divorce, natural disaster etc. they were (and still are) going to get their money soon.  i'm fairly certain that they jacked me for high util. (they found their reason) but they didn't specify in the form letter.

Message Edited by score_building on 07-29-2008 07:33 AM

Message 6 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

Good to know, thanks Timothy.  Yes i need to pay it down to zero post haste.  I don't want my other creditors getting antsy and AA me either.
 Interesting to note, maybe because i had so little available credit left on the card perhaps -it hasn't changed my scores even one point so far.

Apparently my cu pulls a hard, why???   i can't afford another hard inquiry now, not by a long shot, dern it!

Message Edited by score_building on 07-29-2008 07:41 AM

Message Edited by score_building on 07-29-2008 08:02 AM
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to be clear-

You will get the Good and the bad of the utility on the closed account until the balance is zero- 

So don't expect a score change until the balance is zero-
As this will show as Closed be customer- not a big deal even with a manual review.

Pay it way down (to like $200) then make small payments until you have CLI's on the other accounts to make up for the CL that will go away from scoring when the balance hits 0 .
Message 8 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

ah, ok - now i'm beginning to understand better, tx again for the v. helpful advice/ clarification...  by the way i closed about 3 or 4 high apr (zero balance) store cards over this past year thinking i was 'cleaning house' to make room for the premiums i now have (b4 i knew it was damaging), and i hear we are punished more stridently for closed accounts when fico 08 hits (will it ever?)...  do i need to go ahead a brace myself for that downward spiral as well? Smiley Mad

Message Edited by score_building on 07-29-2008 11:28 AM
Message 9 of 20
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

I don't know how much you owe on the account you closed - but I will tell you that you got the minor league ratejack treatment. WaMu/Providian are vicious. They ratejacked both of the accounts I have with them. The one they ratejacked to 31% I BT'ed to 0% APR. The other account I closed to keep it at 24% and am working down the balance (currently $1,300). I have very good credit now and I assure you that WaMu/Providian will never make one more nickel off me once that balance is cleared. EVER!
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.