Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanna get a new CC before buying a home

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wanna get a new CC before buying a home

My BoA was created in 2003. After digging around on my credit reports I have over 3k higher on my CC which would have put me somewhere around $13,900. Also I recently paid off a furniture loan over $3k. I purchased Suze Ormans kit just as something for me to look at here this evening. But if what the simulator says, I can be over 800 on my score by summer 09 if I pay off my CC. I am sitting at 735/745/759 with my scores. Sure my utilization is high. I have only been married a year. There were some big ticket expenses put on this card. Honeymoon, wedding rings, engagement rings. LOL! I told my wife that if I didn't marry her last year I wouldn't have any CC debt. Smiley Very Happy I need to put this card away in the drawer. My latest purchases on it was a handgun and our summer vacation. But after viewing what my score could be, I am probably going to opt out of getting a new CC. I could probably cough up an easy $2700 to pay on this thing, plus I have my Stimulus check coming. There is another $1200. So $3900 total. I can usually handle $1000 payments each month right now. So on that note, my best bet is to take and get this card down to at least $5k and then start plowing money into my saving for a down payment.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had over 14 cards in my lifetime so far. Just meandering my way down the APR pole to try for a 5% APR card someday. No I don't have cash saved up for a home purchase yet. As I would have to divert some funds elsewhere to pay for closing costs and blah blah.
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turd,

That sounds like a great plan. Buying a house sounds like it is easily within your reach, but with a little work you can get that house on the best possible loan terms possible. That is the sort of the thing that is usually worth 6 months to a year to wait for. Best of luck to you and the misses.
Message 13 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

In that case I would not apply for a card. Just pay the thing down as quickly as possible. A new card will double ding your score and won't help the utilization. 8% is a pretty good rate these days. You have an understanding wife or a real good hiding place for that gun. Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

She lets me get what I want to an extent. My goal is to be able to buy a home this winter at some point. Hopefully I can make that happen.
Message 15 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

She lets you. Smiley Happy LOL. Been there done that.
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's with the name TURD ? I am cracking up here. Is your name really Turd ?

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No my name isn't Turd. Smiley Happy I have to think I somehow have the upper hand in this marriage somehow. Now I have to convince her as to how close we are to being done with the CC and not using it anymore. So by August I can start saving a down payment plan.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.