Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want a app spree.. Advice

tag
stevieswife2011
Valued Member

Want a app spree.. Advice

Ok I have been in the mortgage thread should be closing on Wednesday and I have not had a cc since Jan 2013 before I started the process. I was to get some new credit because I do not have a cc with rewards. I need some advice on where to app after closing. I want a rewards card. I travel a little each year and I currently use my debit card from regions for everything and I want to get a daily card that I PIF each month and stop sliding my debit card.
Here my background
Score 676
Car with credit union 1
Best buy $400/750 but its interest free so I'm using the offer
Vonmaur $200/ no limit there is no interest
Walmart $450/1200
Jcpenney $300/$1100
Credit one bank $62/$650 want to close and get a good card it has served it purpose and has a $8.95 fee a month
Orchard $170/$500 I want to get rid of limit is low and the interest and fee suck
First Premier $500/$700 want to get rid of the fees are horrible
BK dischg 2008
So the balances I'm carrying is basically because I was in underwriting for a mortgage and was advised to not make any large payments out need to maintain and grow reserves so once I close I want some good cards when I financed my car my score was 581 so I have worded to get the credit I could and use it responsibly to bring my score up.

Any advise and suggestions on apps would be great I also need a furniture card any suggestions or advise on that would be great also
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Want a app spree.. Advice

First thing I'd do before I app for anything would be to start paying some of those CCs down STAT. You have too many cards reporting balances and that's likely hurting your score. I know the general wisdom here is to only let 1 card report under 10%. YMMV but I'd say you have too many right now to have a good shot at a decent card.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 5
stevieswife2011
Valued Member

Even the ones that are 0% offers I have the amounts in my checking the total is around $1500 you think I would be denied my income is around 50K a year. The balances are all so small
Message 3 of 5
parakleet
Valued Contributor

There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of 0% offers. I've got three cards w balances right now on 0%. But yes, even having small balances report on your statements will have a negative impact on your score. So if you want to app for new cards and put yourself in the best possible position for approval and decent CLs, the better strategy imo would be to pay as many of your cards to report zero. You can't have it both ways - take advantage of a bunch of 0% AND get approved for new prime reward CCs w high CLs.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 4 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

+1

Add to that your util is too high on those cc's. pay them down/off let your cr update then app for the reward/travel cc if your choosing.

Congrats on your closing!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.