cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want a decent travel card need suggestions based on scores.

tag
alphaleo26
New Contributor

Want a decent travel card need suggestions based on scores.

Hello All,

Looking to apply for a new travel card. Was looking at the amex delta as I hear their requirments aren't super high. Not looking for any cards that pull eq as I have too many recent hp's there. I have 2 on Tu and 4 on Ex 3 which will fall off in nov. Tu is my highest score. All postive history no baddies or missed payments. Oldest account is 22 months almost 2 yrs. Scores from current as today minus Tu which hasn't updated on the sw but that's another story... Eq 680 Tu 707 Ex 688. Any one think the Amex delta is a possiblity? Want to get foot in door there asap for back dating for later cards. Also up for other cards if you think I may qualify for them.

Thanks

Starting Score: EQ:582 (fico) Tu Fico 692 8-23-14 7-5-14 Ex Fico 659

Current Score EQ 717 (fico) 11-18-14 Tu Fico 754 11-17-14 Ex fico 747 11-17-14

Inq's EQ 6 (5 this yr) TU 1 EX 5 ( 2 this yr)

Goal Score: 760+

Secured Wells fargo 300 Secured Discover it 200 Cap one qs1 1500 jcrew 1050 buckle 300
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Want a decent travel card need suggestions based on scores.

Scores look good (EX) 

However Amex takes more into consideration then scores and then applies its own internal scoring 

Any baddies, CC history, AAoA, INQ's in the last 6 months? 

Far more info needed.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 15
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@alphaleo26 wrote:

Hello All,

Looking to apply for a new travel card. Was looking at the amex delta as I hear their requirments aren't super high. Not looking for any cards that pull eq as I have too many recent hp's there. I have 2 on Tu and 4 on Ex 3 which will fall off in nov. Tu is my highest score. All postive history no baddies or missed payments. Oldest account is 22 months almost 2 yrs. Scores from current as today minus Tu which hasn't updated on the sw but that's another story... Eq 680 Tu 707 Ex 688. Any one think the Amex delta is a possiblity? Want to get foot in door there asap for back dating for later cards. Also up for other cards if you think I may qualify for them.

Thank

Also, you said you were looking for a travel card, but do you actually use Delta? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but there are much better cards out there for general spending. Of course, if you actually fly Delta that's different.

Message 3 of 15
alphaleo26
New Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Scores look good (EX) 

However Amex takes more into consideration then scores and then applies its own internal scoring 

Far more info needed.

No baddies, Perfect payment history, util is 7% AAoA is like 8 months. 1 inq in the last 6 months other 3 come off in nov. Just really want the delta to get in with amex thought that was the easiest in. Willing to look at other cards that offer flight and travel i.e hotel benefits also. Just don't want any more inq's on Eq too many on there.

Secured Wells fargo 300 Secured Discover it 200 Cap one qs1 1500 jcrew 1050 buckle 300
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you'd be good with the Delta card. I got mine last month with my current scores. Also got the PRG with the same hard pull. I absolutely love the PRG and paying in full every month for some reason lol.

Message 5 of 15
alphaleo26
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you'd be good with the Delta card. I got mine last month with my current scores. Also got the PRG with the same hard pull. I absolutely love the PRG and paying in full every month for some reason lol.

Does amex prefer seeing no balances when you apply or are they ok with small balances? I usually pif multiple times a month due to small limits. Wonder if I can do a 2 for 1 like you did. Did you call to apply or online? Which one did you request 1st?

Message 6 of 15
red259
Super Contributor

@alphaleo26 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Scores look good (EX) 

Far more info needed.

No baddies, Perfect payment history, util is 7% AAoA is like 8 months. 1 inq in the last 6 months other 3 come off in nov. Just really want the delta to get in with amex thought that was the easiest in. Willing to look at other cards that offer flight and travel i.e hotel benefits also. Just don't want any more inq's on Eq too many on there.

You should select a card based on the card that best serves your needs, not because its an Amex. The amount of credit card spend you have is somewhat important, because you need to be able to hit the initial spend bonus to make cards worth it. Given your scores and AAoAs I think something like a CSP may be out of reach at this point. If you were going to go for an amex maybe the PRG would be easier since its a charge card and it has a decent signup bonus. AF is waived the first year. Amex everyday (and everyday preferred) are nice little cards that earn travel rewards, I'm not sure if those cards require a min credit line. The delta card is only worth it if you actually use delta on a somewhat regular basis. I'd try to get a SP CLI on the cap 1 card before apping for anything and I think your chances go up after your AAoAs hits a year. If your not going to be able to make the min spend then your best bet may be a non-af cash back card to build history with.   

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@alphaleo26 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does amex prefer seeing no balances when you apply or are they ok with small balances? I usually pif multiple times a month due to small limits. Wonder if I can do a 2 for 1 like you did. Did you call to apply or online? Which one did you request 1st?

Amex doesn't mind small balances.  I think it's yet another over-thought aspect of them.  Heck I had one card reporting 80% util and they still approved me - not advocacting it, but it certainly isn't that frowned upon in their eyes.

If it were me I would go for a Citi AAdvantage and Barclays US Airways.  American and US Airways are merging so at some point the mileage will come together.  Unless you fly Delta a lot, Skymiles are really tough to redeem for competitive rates.  Another option would be a BoA Alaska card.  Alaska allows you to redeem miles on a lot of partner flights (including American and Delta) at a good redemption rate.

Message 8 of 15
alphaleo26
New Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@alphaleo26 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Scores look good (EX) 

Far more info needed.

You should select a card based on the card that best serves your needs, not because its an Amex. The amount of credit card spend you have is somewhat important, because you need to be able to hit the initial spend bonus to make cards worth it. Given your scores and AAoAs I think something like a CSP may be out of reach at this point. If you were going to go for an amex maybe the PRG would be easier since its a charge card and it has a decent signup bonus. AF is waived the first year. Amex everyday (and everyday preferred) are nice little cards that earn travel rewards, I'm not sure if those cards require a min credit line. The delta card is only worth it if you actually use delta on a somewhat regular basis. I'd try to get a SP CLI on the cap 1 card before apping for anything and I think your chances go up after your AAoAs hits a year. If your not going to be able to make the min spend then your best bet may be a non-af cash back card to build history with.   

I also want to get in with amex for the 3x cli benefit. I struggle with the low limit as I put almost 1500-2000 through my qs1 and it sucks pif every 2-3 days. I eventually want the csp but as you say I know I can't get it now. Hopefully in a year or so. I want to try Barclay arrival as I know they pull Tu and that's my highest score and only one recent inq. Who does citi pull btw I will look into their cards also. 

Message 9 of 15
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@alphaleo26 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Scores look good (EX) 

Far more info needed.

Spotless history , Good util %. Better AAoA when I apped and less inq's even though his scores were lower then mine when I apped I think he has a decent chance based on income 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.