Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to apply for Chase Sapphire but want opinions first

tag
BL_HBY
New Visitor

Want to apply for Chase Sapphire but want opinions first

I'd rather not waste the credit inquiry if there is no chance at all I'd get the card.   With the following information, how likely do you think an approval for the Chase Sapphire (not Preferred) would be?

CK Score: 757

Current Cards:

-Discover More with a $5k Limit.  Until an auto CLI last week it was $4k, so a pull would probably still show this limit.  I've the card just under 5 years.

-Amex Blue Sky with a $5k limit. I've had the card since November 2012.

-Capital One Platnium Mastercard with the awful $500 limit.   Opened March 2011, I belive.

-Amazon Store Card (not the Chase one, but the GE Moneybank one only used on Amazon) with a $3300 Limit. I've also had this since March 2011.

My oldest account is a student loan from September 2007. 

My 2012 Inome was about 22k.  Next week, however I start a new job where I'll be making a little more than twice what I am now (3.8k rather than 1400-1600 each month). I've held my current job for about 3 and a half years. The new job is with the same employer, just a better paying position.   The only negative things on my history  are one late payment on my Discover Card back in January 2010 and a 2 or 3 late student loan payments in Fall 2009.  Everything has been on time since. 

Would I be fine applying for a CS now? Should I wait a month or two for the new Discover credit limit to report, as well as the increased income to take effect, or should I just wait a much longer time?   Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Want to apply for Chase Sapphire but want opinions first

Welcome to the forum!

What is your util? And do you travel a lot?
Message 2 of 25
BL_HBY
New Visitor

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

What is your util? And do you travel a lot?

Thanks. Smiley Happy

CK currently shows about 2%.   I haven't really traveled because I was really busy between working and going to school full time. My income while in school prevented me from traveling as much as I'd like. In the future travel is something I plan on doing a lot more of now that I have more disposable income and no classes to worry about. 

Message 3 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

wait until the new discover CL reports and you should be set.

Best of luck!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I ask because of the choice of cc. Your util is good, you might want to wait until everything is official for your new income. Not sure if you need to wait for Discover to report.
Message 5 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'd definitely email the EO of Cap 1 regarding that CL.
Message 6 of 25
BL_HBY
New Visitor

Thanks.

Where does Chase pull from BTW?  When I was 17 someone opened a utility account in my name and it got sent to collections.  I disputed it (due to the fact that the account was opened while I was still a minor and I never authorized it or knew that it existed until I got a call from a collector).  TransUnion and Equifax removed the account immediately, however it still shows on my Experian report for whatever reason.  I was at least able to add a note for that.  I haven't had any trouble getting cards or an auto loan (which I ended up not taking because I found a better car with a price low enough that I could pay in cash..., waste of an inquiry haha.) but I was denied a personal loan because they happened to pull EX. 

@09Lexie wrote:
I'd definitely email the EO of Cap 1 regarding that CL.

Would you be able to PM me the address?  I've been stuck at the limit since Summer 2011. CSRs always just go through the "lol check the Modify thing. If that doesn't work, then you're SOL".  I never use the card simply because it has the highest interest rate, no rewards, and a CL that is a joke compared to my 3 other accounts. Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Chase usually pulls Ex and they have a long memory. I'll send you the email address.
Message 8 of 25
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Chase pulls EX for me in TX. They did the same on my freedom.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 9 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I ask because of the choice of cc. Your util is good, you might want to wait until everything is official for your new income. Not sure if you need to wait for Discover to report.

Yes, why the Sapphire in particular?

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.