Did you mean: 

Want to apply for Chase Sapphire but want opinions first

tag
BL_HBY
New Visitor

Re: Want to apply for Chase Sapphire but want opinions first

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, why the Sapphire in particular?

I was looking at various Visa Signatures. I don't think my spending habits, unless I started to travel a lot, would be enough to offset the $95 AF on the CSP while still giving more benefit than the regular CS (i.e. I don't think my spending with a CSP would yield a value of at least  $95 more) . 

Unless there is another good VS that I should look into. 

Message 11 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The Freedom can be a signature- it really depends on what you are looking for in a cc. Chase may or not approve you if they still show and active CO on Exp
Message 12 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BL_HBY wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I was looking at various Visa Signatures. I don't think my spending habits, unless I started to travel a lot, would be enough to offset the $95 AF on the CSP while still giving more benefit than the regular CS (i.e. I don't think my spending with a CSP would yield a value of at least  $95 more) . 

Personally, I never worry if a card is a signature, world etc, it seems to make very little practical difference.  I would focus on which card would most reward your pattern of spending.  (And decide if you want cashback, or some other form)

Message 13 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@BL_HBY wrote:

I'd rather not waste the credit inquiry if there is no chance at all I'd get the card.   With the following information, how likely do you think an approval for the Chase Sapphire (not Preferred) would be?

CK Score: 757

Current Cards:

-Discover More with a $5k Limit.  Until an auto CLI last week it was $4k, so a pull would probably still show this limit.  I've the card just under 5 years.

-Amex Blue Sky with a $5k limit. I've had the card since November 2012.

-Capital One Platnium Mastercard with the awful $500 limit.   Opened March 2011, I belive.

-Amazon Store Card (not the Chase one, but the GE Moneybank one only used on Amazon) with a $3300 Limit. I've also had this since March 2011.

My oldest account is a student loan from September 2007. 

My 2012 Inome was about 22k.  Next week, however I start a new job where I'll be making a little more than twice what I am now (3.8k rather than 1400-1600 each month). I've held my current job for about 3 and a half years. The new job is with the same employer, just a better paying position.   The only negative things on my history  are one late payment on my Discover Card back in January 2010 and a 2 or 3 late student loan payments in Fall 2009.  Everything has been on time since. 

Would I be fine applying for a CS now? Should I wait a month or two for the new Discover credit limit to report, as well as the increased income to take effect, or should I just wait a much longer time?   Thanks in advance. 

I think you would be OK for approval. Good luck!!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@LS

OP mentioned an open CO with Chase that's on EX. This gives me reason to pause. What do you think?
Message 15 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

to OP:
Get that collection removed, since it isn't yours. Chase is most likely going to pull EX.

Apply after you've taken care of it. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 25
BL_HBY
New Visitor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@BL_HBY wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Personally, I never worry if a card is a signature, world etc, it seems to make very little practical difference.  I would focus on which card would most reward your pattern of spending.  (And decide if you want cashback, or some other form)

The main attraction for me was the the +1 Movie ticket with Fandango that I got an email about a few weeks ago. 

It's expensive but I go to the movies a lot with my girlfriend or other friends and that alone would have helped me save a bit. 

However, reading the terms on that again I see that the promotion only really works once every 30 days and expires in August. Cat Sad

Message 17 of 25
BL_HBY
New Visitor

@enharu wrote:

to OP:
Get that collection removed, since it isn't yours. Chase is most likely going to pull EX.

Apply after you've taken care of it. 

I've disputed it in the past, including within the last few weeks.  3 years ago it actually showed as 3 different CO because some modcut the collections agencies had. Boston Gas was the original account that was reported to collections.  It was purchased by National Grid, I believe, who also reported the account as being in collections.  They then sent it to another agency.  

I immediately reported all 3 accounts upon finding this out.  I was initially told that I had to file a police report but my mother sent proof that I was a minor and I stopped hearing from the agencies and all 3 accounts disappeared from TU and EQ.  When I checked again last year (after being denied the loan) I found that they were still on my EX.  I disputed them again stating that a.) I was a minor and never authorized the account , b. it was a load of bull that they were reporting the same debt 3 times on my credit report.  I got confirmation about a day later that the Collections agency and National Grid accounts got removed.  The original Boston Gas still remains as of my dispute from a week or two ago.

Due to its age it's due to be removed in April 2014. I'm not sure what else I can really do to get it removed. The person who opened the account has since died and I'm not sure if I could even still file the police report since the account was opened in June 2007 and I wasn't aware of it until Mid 2010. 

edit to remove mild profanity

webhopper

Message 18 of 25
toppers555
Established Contributor

collections is going be a red flag.  I would wait to you resolve that issue.  I just got my CSP this week.  They started pulling EXP here in addition to TU in the last few months, but they till use TU to base the decision here in WI. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 19 of 25
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

What about a card from Barclays?  They usually pull TU.  The Priceline Visa Signature would be a good card, and it gives 2% cash back and there is no annual fee.  I'm thinking about apping for this baby myself.  Smiley Happy  Although you need to be careful which site you app for this card from because there is also a 1% cash back version and even a few other variations from what I've read here.

If you think you can spend $3,000 in 3 months, and you still want the Sapphire, go for the CSP since the annual fee is waived the first year and after a year you can always downgrade to the CS.  There's a 40,000 points bonus for spending $3,000 in 3 months with the CSP.  If you think you might come up short on the spend requirement, you could always add an AU or two (family members that you really trust?) to help you meet the spend requirement.

Good luck!!

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.