Want to apply for Chase Sapphire but want opinions first

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Want to apply for Chase Sapphire but want opinions first

@BL_HBY wrote:

@enharu wrote:

to OP:
Get that collection removed, since it isn't yours. Chase is most likely going to pull EX.

Apply after you've taken care of it. 

I've disputed it in the past, including within the last few weeks.  3 years ago it actually showed as 3 different CO because some modcut the collections agencies had. Boston Gas was the original account that was reported to collections.  It was purchased by National Grid, I believe, who also reported the account as being in collections.  They then sent it to another agency.  

I immediately reported all 3 accounts upon finding this out.  I was initially told that I had to file a police report but my mother sent proof that I was a minor and I stopped hearing from the agencies and all 3 accounts disappeared from TU and EQ.  When I checked again last year (after being denied the loan) I found that they were still on my EX.  I disputed them again stating that a.) I was a minor and never authorized the account , b. it was a load of bull that they were reporting the same debt 3 times on my credit report.  I got confirmation about a day later that the Collections agency and National Grid accounts got removed.  The original Boston Gas still remains as of my dispute from a week or two ago.

Due to its age it's due to be removed in April 2014. I'm not sure what else I can really do to get it removed. The person who opened the account has since died and I'm not sure if I could even still file the police report since the account was opened in June 2007 and I wasn't aware of it until Mid 2010. 

you can still file a police report and try to get it removed, if not it's best to wait until it falls off.

How much is the collection for? If it's not for a lot of money your chances won't be affected that much. You might just have to explain to an underwriter.

edit to remove mild profanity

webhopper

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 21 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I agree I wouldn't worry about the collection go for it! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 22 of 25
BL_HBY
New Visitor

$1999

Message 23 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@BL_HBY wrote:

$1999

$19.99 no problem.

$1,999.00 - Ouch.  Definitely sticks out like a sore thumb for sure -- any underwriter (under manual review) will definitely not see this as favorable, even with a suitable rebutal.

As others have pointed out, it is in your best interest to take care of this outstanding CO item, if you expect to leverage any chance of approval - especially in Chase's eyes.

Message 24 of 25
Raccoon290
Established Member

Ok, so I had no SSN tied to my account and forgot my password. I called and talked to a CSR to did something so I can register a new address and login that way.  The forum account didn't move over (don't really care it was like 4 posts).  I am the OP of the thread though.

Anyhow, thought I'd share an update.

A few days after posting this thread I emailed Capital One EO and got a CLI to $2k from the original $500. I also contacted Experian about the collection account.

That didn't work out that well (still shows on EX but only EX as before. No clue why), but they did put a 90 day freeze on my report and the account shows that I disputed it.

I also ended up PC'ing to the Discover IT and getting a CLI bringing that to $8k. The auto CLI or the requested CLI still haven't reported, however. 

Last night I got tired of waiting and said "screw it" and apped for the CSP.  I got the "we need more information" message. I got a bit nervous thinking I wasted an inquiry.  Just called about an hour ago and had to verify quite a bit of info (Probably relating to the freeze). After a minute or so of being hold I was told I was approved for $6600. 

She did say "Chase Sapphire", but since I applied for the CSP I'm hoping it was more of a slip than being denied for the CSP but not the CS.  I'll find that out once i get the card.

tl;dr Even with the CO I ended up getting approved.

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday $27900, Chase Freedom $12000, Discover IT $10000, CSP $8100, Citi Thank You Preferred $7900, Amazon (Synchrony) $5000, Capital One Quicksilver $3000, Express Store Card $1300, Macy's Amex $1000.
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.