cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to apply for a prime CC, what to do?

tag
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: Want to apply for a prime CC, what to do?

For a rebuilder card, I would go through a local CU. Call around to a few CUs and find one that pulls the bureau of choice (highest score, least INQ) and go from there.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Message 12 of 16
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Why are you trying to get it off .... is it past the 7-year mark?  If it isn't, don't waste the time.  It will only come back verified.

Have you tried a CU or what about Discover?  Forget BofA and AmEx.  They play hard ball.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

well, i am trying to get the paid collection off of my EX report. I GW'd the CA & OC for this item, and they fell off on my EQ and TU. so i was wondering why it did not come off my EX as well. The cap 1 charge off will have to wait for the 7 year mark, which is in a year or so.

Update:
So i decided to try my luck with BoA, thinking that if they pulled my EQ/TU, i should have a good chance, even if they pulled my EX, the paid collection was long ago enough and small amount, i can tell them i am disputing that with the EX. Plus I have checking account with them for a very long time. that should earn me some points. Even if they don't approve me for the unsecured visa card, they would probably offer me the secured one and start building credit with BoA.

The result? Denied. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad
called for recon, same result.

They asked about the past collection on EX. yep, they pulled the worst one amojng the three.
They are saying that with my income i should be able to pay off my CC balance shows on the credit report easily and yet i carried a balance, especially for the Aspen card (which was closed by aspen) but i made good amount for it every month (about 150-200), i did not think that paying that balance off ASAP will help my score much in the short term, not better than paying on time and lower open util on my 2 open CCs, and i would much rather putting more $$ into savings and 401k than paying off aspen right away.

I am so disappointed, in myself! Not only i didnt gain anything from this and made a ding in my 0 inqs in past 2 years. They said i could apply for the secured card, now i am not sure if i still want to, it will be a separate hard pull.
I think i am going to just wait for all baddies fall off and only to apply when i get offer/invitations from them. Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 16
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Most prime cards hate any type of derog, regardless of age. Sorry to hear the bad news. 

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 15 of 16
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I got another preapproval in the mail for the Discover More Card- I am not accepting this offer but I think they pull TU.  It seems like a pretty decent card I just don't want it.

When I got my Citi Platinum Select I think my Fico Scores were in the 680-690 range.  Personally I feel the 680-690 range is about where you want to be for apping.

Also I don't see any reason OP shouldn't roll the dice with the Amex Zync.

IMHO.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.