Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to downsize the amount of cards have - please advise

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Want to downsize the amount of cards have - please advise

I would like to downsize the amount of cards I have.  I have some ideas but wanted to seek the advice of my fellow myfico crew.  Here are my cards and limits and potential plans for the future (am I the only one where the preview function deletes the entire message??):

Amex Blue 10,000, 11/10 - I would like to close this and move some of the CL over to the BCP 
Amex Blue Cash Preferred 15,000, 5/11  - *$75AF, this is my GT (go to) card, no capped rewards, want to keep open           
Amex Clear 8500, 1/11 - I would like to close this and move some of the CL over to the BCP    
Barclays - LLBean VISA 11,600, 11/10 - Only keeping open for the higher CL and great BT offers, never use otherwise, no rewards really 
Capital One MC 4000, 12/08 - only keeping open for the no FTF            
Capital One MC No Hassle 2500, 7/09 - *$29 AF, want to close before the AF hits in July             
Chase - Freedom 5000, 6/11 - My GT card after the BCP, like the categories and the cash back  
Citibank MC Diamond Preferred  10,000, 5/11 - I was told yesterday by a CSR that they do not combine limits on Citi cards anymore.  I wanted to move this into the Dividend below but now not sure

Citibank MC Dividend 9400, 11/11 - 3rd GT card, I like the categories even though they reveal them late.  I like the CL and the BT offers   
Citibank -  Shell (Gas) 600, 4/11 - Never use, want to close     
Discover - More  2000, 6/11 - I have my cable automatically charged here for the 2% for 2012.  I'm not happy with the limit so don't really touch it otherwise.  I was even thinking of closing it and reapplying?

GEMB - Lowes (Store) 8000, 10/10   - Would like to keep open.  I like the 5% off and shop at Lowes frequently  
Macy's (Store), 12/08 - keep open I guess

I'm an AU on the following cards and would like to get out of them both:

Chase VISA - Amazon  1620, 11/09 
Citibank VISA - Hilton Honors 2000, 12/09   One, or both, of these cards were severely CLD because of high balances/negative information on primary card-holder's report.  I'm having a rough time getting off of these!

Please advise what you would do.  Any advice is appreciated.  I am not interested in keeping them in the SD.

Thanks in advance!  

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want to downsize the amount of cards have - please advise

@clocktick wrote:

I would like to downsize the amount of cards I have.  I have some ideas but wanted to seek the advice of my fellow myfico crew.  Here are my cards and limits and potential plans for the future (am I the only one where the preview function deletes the entire message??):

Amex Blue 10,000 - I would like to close this and move some of the CL over to the BCP 
Amex Blue Cash Preferred 15,000  - *$75AF, this is my GT (go to) card, no capped rewards, want to keep open           
Amex Clear 8500 - I would like to close this and move some of the CL over to the BCP    
Barclays - LLBean VISA 11,600 - Only keeping open for the higher CL and great BT offers, never use otherwise, no rewards really 
Capital One MC 4000 - only keeping open for the no FTF            
Capital One MC No Hassle 2500 - *$29 AF, want to close before the AF hits in July             
Chase - Freedom 5000 - My GT card after the BCP, like the categories and the cash back  
Citibank MC Diamond Preferred  10,000 - I was told yesterday by a CSR that they do not combine limits on Citi cards anymore.  I wanted to move this into the Dividend below but now not sure

Citibank MC Dividend 9400 - 3rd GT card, I like the categories even though they reveal them late.  I like the CL and the BT offers   
Citibank -  Shell (Gas) 600 - Never use, want to close     
Discover - More  2000 - I have my cable automatically charged here for the 2% for 2012.  I'm not happy with the limit so don't really touch it otherwise.  I was even thinking of closing it and reapplying?

GEMB - Lowes (Store) 8000   - Would like to keep open.  I like the 5% off and shop at Lowes frequently  
Macy's (Store) - keep open I guess

Chase VISA - Amazon  1620  
Citibank VISA - Hilton Honors 2000   One, or both, of these cards were severely CLD because of high balances/negative information on primary card-holder's report.  I'm having a rough time getting off of these!

Please advise what you would do.  Any advice is appreciated.  I am not interested in keeping them in the SD.

Thanks in advance!  

i like ur plan, but u did not say what ur utili was, can u clue us in on ur balances?

Message 2 of 17
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I only carry a balance on the Citi Diamond Preferred which is 0% until 2/2013.  The rest are PIF unless I'm utilizing a 0% BT offer.  The balance on that card is $3900/10,000 and I'll be paying around $1000 by the 15th of this month.

Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Message 3 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Amex Blue 10,000 - I would like to close this and move some of the CL over to the BCP 
Amex Blue Cash Preferred 15,000  - *$75AF, this is my GT (go to) card, no capped rewards, want to keep open           
Amex Clear 8500 - I would like to close this and move some of the CL over to the BCP    
Barclays - LLBean VISA 11,600 - Only keeping open for the higher CL and great BT offers, never use otherwise, no rewards really 
Capital One MC No Hassle 2500 - *$29 AF, want to close before the AF hits in July             
Chase - Freedom 5000 - My GT card after the BCP, like the categories and the cash back  
Citibank MC Diamond Preferred  10,000 - I was told yesterday by a CSR that they do not combine limits on Citi cards anymore.  I wanted to move this into the Dividend below but now not sure

Citibank MC Dividend 9400 - 3rd GT card, I like the categories even though they reveal them late.  I like the CL and the BT offers   
Discover - More  2000 - I have my cable automatically charged here for the 2% for 2012.  I'm not happy with the limit so don't really touch it otherwise.  I was even thinking of closing it and reapplying?

GEMB - Lowes (Store) 8000   - Would like to keep open.  I like the 5% off and shop at Lowes frequently  

Citibank VISA - Hilton Honors 2000   One, or both, of these cards were severely CLD because of high balances/negative information on primary card-holder's report.  I'm having a rough time getting off of these!

Thanks in advance!  

Can you list how long you have had each account and APR's?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Thanks in advance!  

Why are you having a tough time getting off of these AU cards? Have you called the number on the back of the cards and ask that you be removed? You don't have to be on any card that you don't want to be on.

I would definitely keep any of your own cards that have a five figure CL. I find that the higher my limits are, the higher limits I get when I apply for a new card. That way I can carry fewer cards.

Message 5 of 17
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I have edited the OP to reflect the card opening dates.  I do not know the APRs for any of them.  I only pay attention if there are 0% offers otherwise I do not carry balances.  I look forward to any suggestions and ideas! 

If I get off of the AU accounts, will they stay on my reports for 7 years or completely delete? 

Message 6 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

I have edited the OP to reflect the card opening dates.  I do not know the APRs for any of them.  I only pay attention if there are 0% offers otherwise I do not carry balances.  I look forward to any suggestions and ideas! 

If I get off of the AU accounts, will they stay on my reports for 7 years or completely delete? 

Completely delete.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 17
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Jazzzy wrote:

Why are you having a tough time getting off of these AU cards? Have you called the number on the back of the cards and ask that you be removed? You don't have to be on any card that you don't want to be on.

I would definitely keep any of your own cards that have a five figure CL. I find that the higher my limits are, the higher limits I get when I apply for a new card. That way I can carry fewer cards.

When I called to get off they apologized and said only the primary card-holder can have me removed.  We have broken up and I keep "bugging" to get removed but to no avail.  I asked the CSR, so you're making me stay on a card that I do not want?  All they did was apologize.  I guess I will try again and try to get different CSRs.  How long does it take to get removed? 

Also, are you recommending I get rid of the Discover and both Cap One cards?  I need one for the 0 FTFs (and Discover isn't widely accepted as far as I know), but wouldn't oppose applying for a better one, maybe even with rewards.

Message 8 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Amex Blue 10,000, 11/10 - I would like to close this and move some of the CL over to the BCP Close / move CL
Amex Blue Cash Preferred 15,000, 5/11  - *$75AF, this is my GT (go to) card, no capped rewards, want to keep open  Keep        
Amex Clear 8500, 1/11 - I would like to close this and move some of the CL over to the BCP  Close
Barclays - LLBean VISA 11,600, 11/10 - Only keeping open for the higher CL and great BT offers, never use otherwise, no rewards really SD
Capital One MC 4000, 12/08 - only keeping open for the no FTF SD           
Capital One MC No Hassle 2500, 7/09 - *$29 AF, want to close before the AF hits in July Close           
Chase - Freedom 5000, 6/11 - My GT card after the BCP, like the categories and the cash back Keep 
Citibank MC Diamond Preferred  10,000, 5/11 - I was told yesterday by a CSR that they do not combine limits on Citi cards anymore.  I wanted to move this into the Dividend below but now not sure SD / Run some reaccuring bills through

Citibank MC Dividend 9400, 11/11 - 3rd GT card, I like the categories even though they reveal them late.  I like the CL and the BT offers  Close / I think you have plenty of other better cards
Citibank -  Shell (Gas) 600, 4/11 - Never use, want to close Close   
Discover - More  2000, 6/11 - I have my cable automatically charged here for the 2% for 2012.  I'm not happy with the limit so don't really touch it otherwise.  I was even thinking of closing it and reapplying? SD / continue with bills here and there

GEMB - Lowes (Store) 8000, 10/10   - Would like to keep open.  I like the 5% off and shop at Lowes frequently SD / Same as Macys
Macy's (Store), 12/08 - keep open I guess SD / use every now and then to keep active

Chase VISA - Amazon  1620, 11/09 Remove AU
Citibank VISA - Hilton Honors 2000, 12/09   Remove AU One, or both, of these cards were severely CLD because of high balances/negative information on primary card-holder's report.  I'm having a rough time getting off of these!

Thanks in advance!  

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

When I called to get off they apologized and said only the primary card-holder can have me removed.  We have broken up and I keep "bugging" to get removed but to no avail.  I asked the CSR, so you're making me stay on a card that I do not want?  All they did was apologize.  I guess I will try again and try to get different CSRs.  How long does it take to get removed? 

Also, are you recommending I get rid of the Discover and both Cap One cards?  I need one for the 0 FTFs (and Discover isn't widely accepted as far as I know), but wouldn't oppose applying for a better one, maybe even with rewards.

Wow...I apologize for giving an incorrect opinion. I've never heard of anyone HAVING to stay on a card as an AU. I would get the phone numbers to the executive offices of both of your AU cards and start a campaign to get taken off of them. Or call back to a different CSR and work your way up the supervisor/manager chain.

I'm only recommending that you keep any cards that have a 5-figure credit line. I'm not recommending that you close the others. Discover is accepted at many, many places. We utilize our Discovers for their 5% cashback categories. We play the rewards game, but not everyone likes to do that.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.