cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to graduate from First Premier after one year credit history can anybody suggest next steps?

tag
tbrowne34
Established Member

Want to graduate from First Premier after one year credit history can anybody suggest next steps?

I've got an extremely short credit history-1year with First premier ($200 cl), 7 months with Venue catalog($500, and 2 months on a student loan $34,000 $227 payment. I have no late payments or baddies on my 3 cr's except a satisfied judgement dated from 10/06.  My equifax fico is 722, transunion is 699 and fako score on experian is 711.  I'm hoping to take a step towards higher credit limits/less fees.  What are best suggestions for action or should I wait and let account mature? Thanks for the help.
Message Edited by tbrowne34 on 06-15-2009 01:52 PM
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Re: Want to graduate from First Premier after one year credit history can anybody suggest next steps

You have good scores, with limited history. Who do you use as a primary checking account- I would see if they offer a credit card (not a debit card). Please do yourself a favor- do not apply anywhere that has fees. You are much better than that- junk is only going to get you more junk- Stay away from Taget,First Premier,HSBC, Cap1, Crown Jewelers etc.

Your other option is starting a relationship with a credit union.  Do you have any family members in the military? NFCU is awesome, I've heard ood things about ALLIANT CU (I think you can join the national PTA fotr $25 to gain eligibility)

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want to graduate from First Premier after one year credit history can anybody suggest next steps

@moondog7324 wrote:

You have good scores, with limited history. Who do you use as a primary checking account- I would see if they offer a credit card (not a debit card). Please do yourself a favor- do not apply anywhere that has fees. You are much better than that- junk is only going to get you more junk- Stay away from Taget,First Premier,HSBC, Cap1, Crown Jewelers etc.

Your other option is starting a relationship with a credit union.  Do you have any family members in the military? NFCU is awesome, I've heard ood things about ALLIANT CU (I think you can join the national PTA fotr $25 to gain eligibility)

This is great advice right here from moondog7324 I love CU'sSmiley Wink

King

Message 3 of 8
virgoprincess823
Regular Contributor

If you can find a family member who belongs to Navy Federal Credit Union, ask them if you can join using their member info. They gave me a second chance and I knwo my scores weren't as great as yours.
Message 4 of 8
tbrowne34
Established Member

Thanks for your advice.  I currently use HSBC for my primary checking.  Would it be worth it to open up a BoA checking acct and try for one of their cards? I actually belong to a small credit union in Boulder, Co.called Boulder Valley CU where i lived some years ago.  I use the account very sparingly (It's connected to a pay pal account just been too lazy to change it) I now live in New York, do you think it would be worth pursuing speaking to them? Thanks again
Message 5 of 8
tbrowne34
Established Member

Hi Moondog, thanks for the solid advice.  I applied with HSBC ( bank I currently use for main checking acct.) and was approved for a no annual fee,cash or flying rewards card with a $3000 cl! Very happy to not need to deal with those fee based rippoff cretins. 
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new TL!  Really good starting limit too. 
Message 7 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@tbrowne34 wrote:
Hi Moondog, thanks for the solid advice.  I applied with HSBC ( bank I currently use for main checking acct.) and was approved for a no annual fee,cash or flying rewards card with a $3000 cl! Very happy to not need to deal with those fee based rippoff cretins. 

Very nice and if it's the same card I used to have it updates all charges in real time.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.