cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to pull out my hair, why does AMEX make it so difficult!

tag
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Want to pull out my hair, why does AMEX make it so difficult!

I was so hoping this ordeal was done with. NOPE!

I got my card in the mail today and promptly active it. On my account I expected two statement credits of $50 each, one from customer care, the second from the EO. The one from customer care wasn't there. I had to spend over an hour on the phones (yes phones, because I called a different department while the first one had me on hold) and the supervisor finally honored the credit (after two different reps wouldn't) but not before she lectured me about how AMEX doesnt ever give goodwill credits, how damaging it is to have her reps not  be on the phone with other cardmembers, and how there isn't any notes about a credit (even though she can see that the rep was trying to credit me, she made no mentions of it in her notes) 

I'm at a loss for words right now. 

Message 21 of 32
W0MACK
Valued Member

Wait, so now there's a total of 3 credits to the account?
Two separate credits of $50 and one credit of $100?

Current Scores:
EX: 675 12/2014
EQ: 698 01/2015
TU: 714 07/2014
Last App: 05/27/2014
Goal : 750 Across the Board
Message 22 of 32
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@W0MACK wrote:
Wait, so now there's a total of 3 credits to the account?
Two separate credits of $50 and one credit of $100?

Yeah, one of those $50 is to make up for a promo error on their end

Message 23 of 32
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

2. They will remove 4 out of the 6 Hard inquires they have put on my credit report.

I know this is a unique question but how long do you guys think I should give them to do this before I follow up? It's been about 2 weeks and no change in the INQs, I also wonder which 4 of the 6 they will recode,
EX:2, EQ:1, TU:3

Message 24 of 32
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

My main problem is you applied for another AMEX card after you barely got approved for the first one....  you hsould have used your Delta AMEX for 6 months or so before you app'd for the second one.

the only way it is beneficial to app for two on the same day is if the first is an instant approval and you're looking to get two cards with one HP.

+1

if anyone besides Cap One tripple pulls you and you end up with a card, don't rock the boat head to the garden for 6 months, after that you should be good to go for a second card, and with AMEX waiting till after january is a good thing it would give you 7 months of age on your new card, current card date would be 9/13,  card AP'd and recieved in January would of got you a trade line dated 2/2013 have to love backdating goodness.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 25 of 32
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

My main problem is you applied for another AMEX card after you barely got approved for the first one....  you hsould have used your Delta AMEX for 6 months or so before you app'd for the second one.

the only way it is beneficial to app for two on the same day is if the first is an instant approval and you're looking to get two cards with one HP.

+1

if anyone besides Cap One tripple pulls you and you end up with a card, don't rock the boat head to the garden for 6 months, after that you should be good to go for a second card, and with AMEX waiting till after january is a good thing it would give you 7 months of age on your new card, current card date would be 9/13,  card AP'd and recieved in January would of got you a trade line dated 2/2013 have to love backdating goodness.

Smiley Indifferent.............. they quad pulled me the first time, and I got them both backdated to 2012, they have owned up to their mistake and is recoding 4/6 hard pulls, I was just wanting to know how long everyone things i should give them to complete it.

Message 26 of 32
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Honestly, I think you jumped the gun a little here.

It's called a "statement credit" for a reason.  I would not have called or bothered them about it until the first statement cut.

I feel 99.999% certain you would have received all the promised credits if you had simply been patient.

I also would have asked at the time the each of the credits was offered, "Thank you, could you tell me when should I expect to see that credit appear?"  It's possible that credits initiated from the EO go through a different process than those from a CSR, and the only way to set your expectations accurately is to ask the person creating the credit request.

It seems like perhaps you are entering every interaction with them with an expectation of poor customer service.  And then confirmation bias leads you to find it everywhere you look.  But with all of the multiple responses you have had from multiple levels of the organization, it seems they have been doing their best to make it right and give you good service.

So maybe the best thing you can do right now is relax, have a mojito, and wait for that first statement to cut.

And expect the best: expect that they will honor the agreements they have made. Give them a chance to impress you, and give your mind a break from worrying about it.  Smiley Happy  

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 27 of 32
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

Honestly, I think you jumped the gun a little here.

It's called a "statement credit" for a reason.  I would not have called or bothered them about it until the first statement cut.

I feel 99.999% certain you would have received all the promised credits if you had simply been patient.

I also would have asked at the time the each of the credits was offered, "Thank you, could you tell me when should I expect to see that credit appear?"  It's possible that credits initiated from the EO go through a different process than those from a CSR, and the only way to set your expectations accurately is to ask the person creating the credit request.

It seems like perhaps you are entering every interaction with them with an expectation of poor customer service.  And then confirmation bias leads you to find it everywhere you look.  But with all of the multiple responses you have had from multiple levels of the organization, it seems they have been doing their best to make it right and give you good service.

So maybe the best thing you can do right now is relax, have a mojito, and wait for that first statement to cut.

And expect the best: expect that they will honor the agreements they have made. Give them a chance to impress you, and give your mind a break from worrying about it.  Smiley Happy  

I think OP is concerned about when Amex will delete the additional inquiries they promised to delete, not when he will get the statement credits.

Message 28 of 32
TheConductor
Established Contributor

For deleting the pulls, I would allow at least 60 days.

That is how long BoA took when I asked them to correct a stolen card replacement that they incorrectly reported as a new account while reporting the old one as closed.

Rule of thumb: up to 30 days for the creditor to do their thing, and up to 30 days more for that action to actually appear on your report.

Call it 63 days, to allow for 31-day months.

The great irony is that any negative information is dispatched to your report at lightning speed, but positive corrections are always slow.  I suspect this is probably part of the CRAs' pricing arrangement with those who report to them.  There is probably some financial incentive to make timely reports of negative activity but "batch" positive updates.  And the positive batches are probably carefully scheduled on different days so that they have a consistent data flow level from one day to the next, instead of sudden unpredictable surges.

But I digress.  63 days, then release the hounds.  Smiley Wink

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 29 of 32
roastbeans
New Contributor

Be happy,at least you have hair to pull out when things going tough

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.