Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to upgrade from cap 1 secured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to upgrade from cap 1 secured

how long should I wait to app for a different cap one card after getting the cap 1 secured? I got the secured mid January and my scores were 70-80 pts lower than they are now. I also got a cap 1 auto loan in mid January as well. I'd love to get an unsecured card with rewards, just not sure if cap 1 would approve it yet? Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want to upgrade from cap 1 secured

@Anonymous wrote:
how long should I wait to app for a different cap one card after getting the cap 1 secured? I got the secured mid January and my scores were 70-80 pts lower than they are now. I also got a cap 1 auto loan in mid January as well. I'd love to get an unsecured card with rewards, just not sure if cap 1 would approve it yet? Any thoughts?

You can usually get an unsecured card 6-7 months after having a secured one.  Is that the only card reporting on your credit reports?

Message 2 of 6
Pway
Valued Contributor

It varies.  Some have has gotten approved for the secured and turned around and applied for the QS1, or Platinum within days of each other and gotten approved.  I would check out the prequalifier and see what it says for Capital One. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 6
gibeon
Established Contributor

Check to see if you are prequalified for any Cap One cards. I would bet that you will get at least a QuickSilver 1 offer.

I was preapproved (in March) for the QS1 a month after opening the a Cap One secured card (in February). And had two QS1s by April (with two annual fees...)
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are new to credit, I would wait six months. Otherwise, you can try the prequalify links at capital one to see what comes up
Message 5 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

check pre-qual and apply for 2 if showing pre-qual and then close out that secured!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.