Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting secured credit card but no credit history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanting secured credit card but no credit history

I've recently gotten my credit report clear of  baddies(all medical bills), the only problem is there is nothing there no good no bad just a few inquiry. I applied for boa secured credit card thinking they would accept but no. Now I'm back to square one again. I have no score since I have no credit history. My question is: Is there a secured card out there I CAN get and be approved with my situation. Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Re: Wanting secured credit card but no credit history

There are a couple that you can get, but be aware that they will more than likely have an AF. Try OpenSky or Capital One

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 2 of 5
IWOL
Established Contributor

Since you have no history you probbaly want to find a secured card that  does not require a hard pull or a score upon applying.

I dont know much about Open Sky but I beleive State Department Federal Credit union offers a secured card with no hard pull and it has the best rate I have seen at 6.99%.

Im not sure what the minimum deposit is and you have to join the CU to applly for the card. I dont have the card but when I was researching secured cards that one seemed to be one of the best secured products out there. I think they even offer reward points with their secured card. Just google SDFCU and you can find more info on them.

Wish i knew about this card when I needed a secured card.. Hope it helps you out.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys i'll check those out

Message 4 of 5
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Since you have no history you probbaly want to find a secured card that  does not require a hard pull or a score upon applying.

I dont know much about Open Sky but I beleive State Department Federal Credit union offers a secured card with no hard pull and it has the best rate I have seen at 6.99%.

Im not sure what the minimum deposit is and you have to join the CU to applly for the card. I dont have the card but when I was researching secured cards that one seemed to be one of the best secured products out there. I think they even offer reward points with their secured card. Just google SDFCU and you can find more info on them.

Wish i knew about this card when I needed a secured card.. Hope it helps you out.

I have the State Department FCU secured Visa. Anybody can open a savings with them. Once you have that, call the loan department to open a secured card. If you apply for the card online, it's a hard pull. Everything IWOL said is correct - no AF, 6.99%, and rewards. Not sure of the minimum, but I opened mine with $500 five months ago. I love this card! Good luck!

*edit: They also report to all 3 CRAs as a secured card, FYI.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.