Wanting the Delta AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wanting the Delta AMEX

@drkaje wrote:

@android01 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:
I think i'm going to hold off until Jan. and get that extra year backdating. Would have been nice to rac up miles 6 months early tho.

LS, Are you a regular Delta flyer?  

You already know the answer is no, LOL! Smiley Happy

But he would fly Delta... if he had the card Smiley Tongue

Message 41 of 49
android01
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@android01 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:
I think i'm going to hold off until Jan. and get that extra year backdating. Would have been nice to rac up miles 6 months early tho.

LS, Are you a regular Delta flyer?  

You already know the answer is no, LOL! Smiley Happy

Just thought I'd ask! Smiley Wink

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 42 of 49
ficofox
Regular Contributor

I was in a similar situation last year - was holding out until January 1, 2012 to apply for the Delta Amex. Then, I got an email offer for a total of 40,000 miles and $100 cash back:

Earn 25,000 bonus miles after your first purchase on the Card.
Earn another 15,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on the Card within three months.
Receive $100 cash back after you make a Delta purchase within six months.

The problem was that the offer expired on Dec 18, 2011, so I had to pass it up or lose the extra backdating. When I finally made it to January 1st and applied, the offer was slightly less, but still sufficient:

Earn 30,000 bonus miles after $500 spend within three months (when I was finally ready to apply, I just did a search for the best available offer)

I haven't seen any with MQM miles as part of an offer (although I think the Platinum Skymiles might have a portion that go to MQM?).

I agree with LS, though. It was difficult to wait but I think, for my credit age, worth it in the end. If I wasn't worried about the extra months of aging, I would have taken the better Delta offer in December.

I fly Delta almost exclusively and the free checked baggage, comp upgrades, and other perks have been nice.

Anyway, good luck, LS, if and when you decide to go for it.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 43 of 49
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ficofox wrote:

I was in a similar situation last year - was holding out until January 1, 2012 to apply for the Delta Amex. Then, I got an email offer for a total of 40,000 miles and $100 cash back:

Earn 25,000 bonus miles after your first purchase on the Card.
Earn another 15,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on the Card within three months.
Receive $100 cash back after you make a Delta purchase within six months.

The problem was that the offer expired on Dec 18, 2011, so I had to pass it up or lose the extra backdating. When I finally made it to January 1st and applied, the offer was slightly less, but still sufficient:

Earn 30,000 bonus miles after $500 spend within three months (when I was finally ready to apply, I just did a search for the best available offer)

I haven't seen any with MQM miles as part of an offer (although I think the Platinum Skymiles might have a portion that go to MQM?).

I agree with LS, though. It was difficult to wait but I think, for my credit age, worth it in the end. If I wasn't worried about the extra months of aging, I would have taken the better Delta offer in December.

I fly Delta almost exclusively and the free checked baggage, comp upgrades, and other perks have been nice.

Anyway, good luck, LS, if and when you decide to go for it.

Thanks!!!

I have to come to the realization that any further apping I do is going to set me back further. The smart thing to do would be wait until at least Jan. if I can't make it to March so I can get the full year backdating.

I'm good with all of my accounts, just loving AMEX a little too much Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 44 of 49
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

I am having a hard time understanding how waiting to apply for a new account will benefit someone down the road. While I am currently in garden mode myself, I do it for a potential mortgage, business loan, or new auto loan a year from now. If I knew that I wasn't applying for any of these in the near future I would much rather have the INQ now than wait 8 or 9 months. And the difference between a January vs May dating of an AMEX is really insignificant.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 45 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are doing the right thing LS, stay strong!!!

Message 46 of 49
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

My AmEx is backdated to 2010. I was going to hold off on the SPG until January but I applied for the Chase United Mileage Plus card on Thursday and figured I might as well do AmEx too (so I apped on Friday). For me the difference in January to May for backdating wasn't a big deal, next year I could be looking for a mortgage again so a January app probably wouldn't have worked, and I figured they'll start me with the typical 2,000 CL but after 61 days I can have it up to 6,000. To each their own but that was my thought process on why I apped for the SPG AmEx now versus January.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 47 of 49
FrugalRican
Blogger

Just checked my calendar, yep... still says May 2012.

So.

NO.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 48 of 49
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

I'm starting to think developing a site that looks like a major credit card application, but uses a difference engine and absolutely no data from the real world to decide the outcome would be a huge benefit to the credit community. Actually... maybe it should just be an automatic denial so people get demotivated and don't app for the real thing. Smiley Very Happy Web design to the rescue!

Be strong, at least wait until Jan 2013... because then it'll be easier to say one more month, until February. Then only one more month.

Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.