tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanting to add another card...

Currently I have the following:

AMEX BCP - $20k

Chase Visa Freedom - $14k

Cap One Visa Platinum - $2,500

My CS is at 805 accross the board. I'm thinking about getting a CSR since our traveling has kicked up a notch this last few years and we plan on doing the same for 18. Any reccommedations for traveling cards or just a strong all-around card?

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wanting to add another card...

One other thing... we'll be moving to Hawaii and will be using Amazon quite a bit. Should I get the Amazon card in addition to the CSR?

Message 2 of 14
Kree
Established Contributor

Top two airlines to and from Hawaii,  United and Hawaiian Air.

Both star alliance partners.

I would recommend one of the United cards,  the club card offers free seat upgrades on all flights, plus free club loungue access and double miles on star alliance purchases. Plus first two bags free for member and 1 guests (up to a 120 dollar value per flight).

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. I've been thinking about the United card as well but it's my understanding Southwest will be flying to Hawaii starting in 2018... at least that's what I'm hearing. You think the CSR is more about international flight to Europe etc over back to the mainland?

Message 4 of 14
Kree
Established Contributor

Imma united guy. I'm biased, but I believe the perks with united are better than the global perks with CSR.  Considering united is a global airlines and has plenty of global partners.

I think you'd have to spreadsheet it to really see which is better for you, but I think that if you are willing to dedicate yourself to one airline, then the club card will generally outweigh the CSR.

Message 5 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

On a side note, if your Capital One Visa Platinum isn't a Quicksilver, call in and see if you have an upgrade offer so you can get 1.5% rewards.

Message 6 of 14
iced
Valued Contributor

@Kree wrote:

I would recommend one of the United cards,  the club card offers free seat upgrades on all flights, plus free club loungue access and double miles on star alliance purchases. Plus first two bags free for member and 1 guests (up to a 120 dollar value per flight).

The Club card does not offer free seat upgrades. It offers the ability for existing Premier members who use the card to pay the fees on an award ticket to get in the CPU queue as if they had bought the ticket in the lowest non-Basic fare bucket. This is also the first I have heard of double miles on *A. Can you clarify what this perk is, because I’m very likely owed it several times over by now.

Message 7 of 14
Kree
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Kree wrote:

The Club card does not offer free seat upgrades. It offers the ability for existing Premier members who use the card to pay the fees on an award ticket to get in the CPU queue as if they had bought the ticket in the lowest non-Basic fare bucket. This is also the first I have heard of double miles on *A. Can you clarify what this perk is, because I’m very likely owed it several times over by now.

I thought the club card also gave you premiere access, with free economy plus upgrades without fees.  It should also allow economy plus upgrade awards to be used to get into business.   And the double miles, I meant 2x per dollar spent on travel.

Message 8 of 14
iced
Valued Contributor

@Kree wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Kree wrote:

I thought the club card also gave you premiere access, with free economy plus upgrades without fees.  It should also allow economy plus upgrade awards to be used to get into business.   And the double miles, I meant 2x per dollar spent on travel.

Premier Access != Premier Status. Premier Access means you get to stand with what's effectively half the flight now in boarding group 2. Everyone from a CC holder all the way up to Gold gets tossed into that group now. It also lets you in the Premier Access security line, but these days Pre-Check is going to win every day and twice on Sundays - do that instead. Free E+ seats don't start until Silver (and that's only at check-in, which often means only middle E+ seats are available) or Gold for unrestricted E+ selection.

The 2x is only on United purchases. Everything else is 1.5 miles/dollar. There's really only two reasons to get the MP Club:

1. You fly frequently enough to make good use of the lounges.

2. You want United miles and are willing to pay a premium for the extra .5 earning power. Note that if you spend $25,000 on the Explorer, you get a 10,000 mile bonus for the year, which means at $25,000, the two cards are basically a wash (35,000 on the $95 Explorer vs 37,500 on the $450 Club), but if you spend significantly more, the Club starts to run away. If one's spend is heavily toward dining/travel though, the CSR will earn far more miles for the same AF, though.

For other cases, I'd recommend the Explorer instead as you get most of the same benefits (including the PQD waiver for $25,000+ spend, which is probably the most valuable perk on the Explorer card IMO) with a significantly less AF.

The Club is really the card for the established United frequent flier who does a lot of domestic flights and hits the lounge 30 times a year or the frequent *A traveller who doesn't have status and doesn't buy premium cabins but wants international lounge access. It's the cheapest way, regardless of status, to purchase Club membership in those cases.

Message 9 of 14
Kree
Established Contributor

Huh,  I might have to rethink my personal card goals, as I don't travel that often.  Perhaps instead of dumping everything into united, I should dump everything into marriot and get a SPG or marriot card.

OP, I still think United is best for Hawaii based travel, but maybe the club card isn't so much tops.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.