Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to close 2 cards-credit effect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanting to close 2 cards-credit effect?

I have 2 old Capital One credit cards with low limits--$750 each that I got a long time ago when I was repairing my credit. My credit is now excellent and I don't want the cards any longer as they carry a $39 AF and I never use them.  However, they are some of my oldest cards so it will obviously change my length of credit stats. I am wanting to apply for a couple Amex cards right now as I have received targeted offers.  Will this make a huge difference if I close them? Should I apply 1st and then close them? The AF's are due 3/21 and 3/27, 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Wanting to close 2 cards-credit effect?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 old Capital One credit cards with low limits--$750 each that I got a long time ago when I was repairing my credit. My credit is now excellent and I don't want the cards any longer as they carry a $39 AF and I never use them.  However, they are some of my oldest cards so it will obviously change my length of credit stats. I am wanting to apply for a couple Amex cards right now as I have received targeted offers.  Will this make a huge difference if I close them? Should I apply 1st and then close them? The AF's are due 3/21 and 3/27, 

I feel pretty confident that if you call Capital One and ask them to upgrade the cards, and drop the annual fee, they will.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea but will they pull my credit to do so?  I do not want another pull right now. Thanks! 

Message 3 of 8
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great idea but will they pull my credit to do so?  I do not want another pull right now. Thanks! 

No it would a SP on your credit and they can tell you if you have an offer on your account or not.

Message 4 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@darwin_wins wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No it would a SP on your credit and they can tell you if you have an offer on your account or not.

Correct

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called and they waived the fees.  I'm going to consolidate them with another Cap 1 card I have later in the year. For now I'm going to leave them open while I apply for the AMEX cards. Thanks very much for your input and the idea. 

Message 6 of 8
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I called and they waived the fees.  I'm going to consolidate them with another Cap 1 card I have later in the year. For now I'm going to leave them open while I apply for the AMEX cards. Thanks very much for your input and the idea. 

FWIW, I just closed 6 cards with $31k in credit limts (zero balance accounts) so far 3 have reported and there has been no change to any of my scores due to closing the accounts. I should note I have lots of other cards and lots of unused revolving credit just as a FYI. 

Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Glad to hear it Smiley Happy

When you do the consolidation make sure the oldest account is the one that survives

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.