Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to close my Matrix and First Preimer Cards

tag
bclay
Valued Member

Wanting to close my Matrix and First Preimer Cards

When I started the rebuilding of my credit I started out with First Preimer, Matrix and Capital One Cards.  It has been about three years.  In the last year I have added a  Barclays, Discover, DCU and Amazon card.  I would love to get rid of my First Preimer and Matrix.  I don't use them but still get charged a monthly fee.  I don't need them either.  I will obviously keep the Capital one.  My only concern is if I close them down, will it impact my score heavily?  Any advice would be great!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
joshkm
New Contributor

Re: Wanting to close my Matrix and First Preimer Cards

No get rid of that trash. You have far better things now. They won't be missed. Only thing is Utilization will be affected, but I can't imagine those cards having big limits. Do yourself a favor and drop them. They're holding you back if anything when creditors see them and the money they're sucking from you in fees.

Message 2 of 11
willwar14
Valued Contributor

@joshkm wrote:

No get rid of that trash. You have far better things now. They won't be missed. Only thing is Utilization will be affected, but I can't imagine those cards having big limits. Do yourself a favor and drop them. They're holding you back if anything when creditors see them and the money they're sucking from you in fees.

+10000000 10000%% agree.

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 3 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Close them. Shred them. Burn the shreds in a special ceremony celebrating your creditworthiness improvement. Lol. Seriously though, you're way beyond them. You've gotten better cards. Call them immediately and don't fall for their pitiful retention offers. Stand firm and tell them you don't want the account anymore, and ask them to send you a letter confirming the closure of said accounts.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 11
bclay
Valued Member

Thank you!  I am going to close them!  You all have been very helpful!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trash em. If your util goes up because of it, then your scores will go down.

Other than that, it will not impact your AAoA, because it will stay on your reports for 10 years after closure.

Message 6 of 11
joshkm
New Contributor

Call them up with a smile on your face and have fun with it. Stay strong even if they offer to waive the fees. They've served their purpose and it's only going to be better things for you from here. Even if they had high limits they're so not worth having if you don't have to.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Close them. Shred them. Burn the shreds in a special ceremony celebrating your creditworthiness improvement. Lol. Seriously though, you're way beyond them. You've gotten better cards. Call them immediately and don't fall for their pitiful retention offers. Stand firm and tell them you don't want the account anymore, and ask them to send you a letter confirming the closure of said accounts.

Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@willwar14 wrote:

joshkm wrote:Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

+10000000 10000%% agree.

Smiley LOL get rid of the crap! Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

^ this. +1

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.